Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #1 
LovelyLavender

Will This Work? (10 Gallon)

Hi, I'm new here ^-^ So....I'll just...start talking I guess I have a 10 gallon fish tank with led lights (Top Fin Brand I think). I already have a Marimo moss ball and a type of Anubias (that is kinda yellowing right now). The occupants are a butterfly betta fish and two nirate snails. The tank is looking quiet bare to me, and I also want to add ghost shrimp soon.

So I was wondering if I could add some Amazon Frogbit and some Water Sprite. I already have some river rocks as substrate and would rather not get dirt or sand. I was already planning on getting some root tabs (more for the yellowing anubias) and some liquid ferts. If lighting is ever an issue the tank is setup by a shaded window, hopefully I can give it that...

Will this work?
LovelyLavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #2 
tankman12

Frogbit you can easily keep. Water sprite is easy as well, you can float it or bury it.

Is the anubias buried?
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #3 
LovelyLavender

No, it's attached to a big rock with fishing line. It's the leaves that are yellowing, and I don't want it to die because my betta is very fond of it.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #4 
tankman12

How long have you had it? Is the whole thing yellowing? What ferts are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #5 
LovelyLavender

Oh I've had it for a couple of months now. I only really noticed it recently (I can be oblivious sometimes). I got it at a my local Petco where they get quality stuff. The only frets I've been really using is the API Leaf Zone. What do I do with the completely yellowed leaves? Can the leaves reverse its color?

Last edited by LovelyLavender; 08-24-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #6 
tankman12

With yellow leaves you are supposed to trim them. Cuz all the plants energy will go towards fixing the leaves instead of growing. So do this, it should help.
Trim the yellow leaves
Get flourish comprehensive (MUCH better than api)
Also depends on your budget, you could get flourish, potassium, excel, and as many of the of the flourish line as you can. The more the better. But again definitely not a necessity.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #7 
LovelyLavender

Thanks ^-^ What about the partially yellowed leaves? I have one just starting to yellow and one the is yellowed half way. (sorry with all the questions, I don't exactly have a green thumb. The only plant I managed to keep alive is my Lucky Bamboo and the Marimo moss ball 0-0)

Last edited by LovelyLavender; 08-24-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #8 
tankman12

Ya trim it. Bamboo actually isnt an aquarium plant, it very slowing rots under water.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #9 
LovelyLavender

I know, its near the tank on a my bookshelf. For some reason my cat sometimes wants to murder my bamboo plant (she did successfully with one during a vacation trip) by casually knocking over their little glass containers. And when trimming do you trim to the yellow or the whole leaf?

Last edited by LovelyLavender; 08-24-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #10 
farmgirl82

Java ferns & java moss are some other easy plants. The java ferns & java moss can be attached to a rock (not too smooth) or driftwood. The moss can also be left floating...
farmgirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote