Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #21 
Duskdog

We still haven't gotten any of the new ones in yet at my store. We did finally get a new shipment of regular halfmoons in last week (we've been out of them except for one steel blue lonely one for over a month now) -- but they only sent us six and five of them are already sold!

I hope we get some of the new ones soon.
Duskdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #22 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cballas View Post
Dang ya'll are lucky! I think Tampa (Florida all around??) has crappy chain pet stores.
They look shabby all around, not just the bettas...the birds, the reptiles...the employees are
mostly rude...why I stick with small stores here. FL sucks. LoL
I live in Florida as you can see and I couldn't be happier with my chain pet stores along with local ones. Maybe it's where you live that sucks. lol
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #23 
cballas

LOL I should have said "Tampa" yep you're right.

OK The Petco today didn't have any betta's on display...They DID have the new betta design layout up though, with the list of all the different tail types, and I saw a bunch more tank options for sale, not just bowls.
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #24 
zelilaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cballas View Post
Dang ya'll are lucky! I think Tampa (Florida all around??) has crappy chain pet stores.
They look shabby all around, not just the bettas...the birds, the reptiles...the employees are
mostly rude...why I stick with small stores here. FL sucks. LoL
:O aww- dont say all of florida sucks when you obly know about tampa! the pet stores here in miami are great. espiecially my local Petco. their amazing!
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #25 
cballas

omg I know I've heard great things about the ones down there! :)
I smell a betta buying roadtrip.....
Old 10-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #26 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I got my female fry betta veiltail, Baby Blue, at Petco. She couldn't have been more than 6 months old when I got her; so was so tiny! She lives in a 5 gallon tank and is about 8 months old now. Everything I've ever heard about bettas she contradicts!

She swims around like a manic, enjoys current (when I do water changes, she has to get right under where the new water is coming in), is mega territorial and inquisitive.

Now that I'm raising a tiny female betta wild child, I wonder: Is the reason bettas seem to like lower current in a tank because they generally wind up in those tiny store bowls, with no room to really swim or be stimulated, and their swimming abilities atrophy?

After living in an empty apartment sized bathroom for half of your life, how well would any of us cope in a larger, more turbulent environment?

Have you noticed at pet stores where bettas are in tiny bowls, they don't barely move? Even if practically up against each other, these older bettas don't even bother to flare at their neighbors?

I was lucky to find a fry.

I know I sound like I'm down on the pet stores. Some are very good; others not so good... chain or private store, it doesn't matter. It pains me to see poor fishy husbandry. :*(

I go into stores and if I see poor conditions and ill fish, I bring it to the attention of the clerk in that department. If I come back and it doesn't get better, then I talk to the owner or manager. If they don't improve, I don't go back...
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 AM   #27 
purplemuffin

They naturally come from pretty still water, and the males have such HUGE tails they get blown around by the currents! Girls and plakats can do better with higher filtration current most definitely!

Pet store care is never great, even the good ones are only as good as they can be considering it would not be cost efficient to keep each and every betta in 5 gallon filtered heated tanks!

Pet store bettas don't move usually because they are bored and COLD!! Cold slows them down!

That's a good policy on poor pet conditions!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #28 
Alex09

Just wanted to say that my petco was selling HMPK kings for the same price as regular PK kings ($12). I think it's ridiculous to charge more for them. All that means is that not many people will buy them and they will probably die in the store.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #29 
Capricorn

Stopped at my petco today, saw a HUGE, huge HM king.. he had to be almost four inches long, I'm not even joking. His FACE was at least 3/4", if not an inch!

Wish I had room for him here. D:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #30 
cballas

Went to the same Petco that had the new set up...Well...I was not impressed...They didn't change how they care for them, just how they advertise them.
There were about 50-60 tiny cups... 25% had swim bladder, and 25% had fin rot.
Boooo...