Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #1 
BettaMan

Light for Heat?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if using the 15 watt light bulb on my tank would be enough to heat the tank. Surprisingly, the bulb keeps the tank at a steady 80 degrees. I turn it off at night and the temp only drops 1-3 degrees. Is that okay?

Thanks
BettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #2 
bettafish15

I'm sure more experienced people will comment on this, but IMO I think you should get a heater anyway, because winter is coming and the temperature might start dropping more than just a couple degrees at night ^^
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #3 
BettaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I'm sure more experienced people will comment on this, but IMO I think you should get a heater anyway, because winter is coming and the temperature might start dropping more than just a couple degrees at night ^^
I agree, but fortunately I live in Florida where it's always hot.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #4 
Jupiter

If your house is constantly 76-82 degrees throughout the seasons, you should be fine.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #5 
BettaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
If your house is constantly 76-82 degrees throughout the seasons, you should be fine.
Yup, it definitely stays in that range.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:36 PM   #6 
Jupiter

Then you wouldn't even need the light, really, as long as the temperature is stable.

On another note, I'd couldn't stand it if my house was that warm all the time...I'm keeping my room at around 75 right now since my betta's heater isn't working, it's driving me nuts at night.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #7 
BettaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Then you wouldn't even need the light, really, as long as the temperature is stable.

On another note, I'd couldn't stand it if my house was that warm all the time...I'm keeping my room at around 75 right now since my betta's heater isn't working, it's driving me nuts at night.
Honestly, i'm used to the heat, lol.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I wouldn't advise heating your tank with a light because of the drastic temperature changes between night and day. What type of thermometer are you using? It seems odd that it would only drop a few degrees at night. My sister lives in South Florida and even they get cold snaps.

I would have a heater on hand just in case it gets cold. Even if you just buy one of the pre-set cheap ones at least you would have something to put in the tank in the event of a cold spell.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #9 
BettaMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I wouldn't advise heating your tank with a light because of the drastic temperature changes between night and day. What type of thermometer are you using? It seems odd that it would only drop a few degrees at night. My sister lives in South Florida and even they get cold snaps.

I would have a heater on hand just in case it gets cold. Even if you just buy one of the pre-set cheap ones at least you would have something to put in the tank in the event of a cold spell.
I suppose your right. I'll look into it. Thanks