Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #1 
Mjoyn91

Exclamation Best Ich Treatment?

Hi Everyone,
A few days ago i noticed a raised whiteish spot on my betta's side. Now this morning I noticed that theres another on his head. I've looked around online and i'm starting to suspect that Ich is the culprit. He's been in his tank for a little over two weeks so he may be he's still a little stressed. What are the best treatment for Ich in bettas? Also, in case this isnt ich, are there any nasty side effects from the medicine?
Mjoyn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #2 
TaylorW

If it's just one or to spots, it is NOT ich. Ich looks like someone sprinkled salt over your fish's entire body.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #3 
TaylorW

This is a picture of Ich:
http://cichlidresearch.com/gifs/dise...h_DSC_9878.jpg
Old 11-01-2010, 04:20 AM   #4 
Mjoyn91

Hmm ya the spots on my fish don't look like the pictures. The spots on my fish are a little larger and one is slightly raised. Any other ideas on what could be causing the spots?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #5 
TaylorW

I'm not sure, it really could be a number of things. Something as simple as scraping his head on a tank ornament to something more complicated, like a fungus. If you want you can start a thread in the disease and emergencies part of the forum. Fill out the quick questions form and try to get a photo of your fish, and hopefully someone can give you so good advice!

My fish sometimes gets one or two white spots on his head, I haven't figured out what it is, but when I add a bit of aquarium salt it seems to heal up fine!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Ich doesn't necessarily have to cover the entire body. A good fish keeper would notice the spots before it got to that stage. Ich looks like grains of salt and will start out with just one or two and slowly spread to cover the entire body.

The best treatment for Ich is to slowly raise the temperature of the tank to about 86*F and add aquarium salt. Keep the tank dark all day and do daily water changes. Continue this treatment for two weeks. It usually takes one week to remove the ich from the fish and another to kill it completely.

Make sure you feed lots of high quality food while your fish is sick to keep his immune system running as best it can.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #7 
Adastra

Typically ich and velvet spread all over the fish very quickly. Once the fish is weakened it's unlikely that you'll only see a total of two cysts on the whole fish, not impossible, I guess, but not likely. Can you get the water tested and post a picture? That would be the best way to verify it. Either way, more water changes will most likely be the answer to his problem.

If you could copy/paste and fill out this form we would likely be able to provide you with more insight: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #8 
Mjoyn91

Ok heres the answers to the questions. I also suspect my fish might have some fin rot. I've seen online that the edges of the fins can turn black and fray. My fish, Ajax, also has this. It also seems like the part of the fin leading up to the black edge is loosing color. I just bought him two weeks ago, the edges of his fins were already black, i just figured it was natural coloring. In my album there's a picture you can kind of see what i'm talking about with the fins

I'll work on getting a good picture of the white spots on him.

Housing

What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 77-78 *F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One small snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Beta Bio Gold, freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, two pellets in the morning, two medium sized worms in the afternoon

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week, tank just cycled so i decreased water changes.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? around 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aquasafe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 3
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 3
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Large tears in fins, smaller tears on edges. Black edges on fins. Fins a little more see through leading up to black edges. Two small, raised white dots one on head and one on side
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Fins: week and a half ago. Dots: three days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year, purchased from store two weeks ago

Last edited by Mjoyn91; 11-01-2010 at 05:25 PM.