Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #11 
jeanclaudeasher

I have found a fish store that is near my area that knows what they are talking about =) When you go to buy a fish they ask you how big your tank is and what other fish you have in your tank and then will let you know if the fish you want to purchase will work well in that tank or not.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #12 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I was at Petco yesterday, and I felt like I was a employee there.. three different people were looking at bettas all confused, and no one came over to even offer help. so I sure did =]
two people put the bettas back. bwhahha.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #13 
bearwithfish

i was of the mind that Bog Box companies did not hire well versed employees as well until a recent trip to a FS about 2 hours away and the staff there not only knew ther stuff very well they assisted my in solving an issue with my own tank that i could not resolve through the use of boards or people i knew... it was very refreshing... perhaps this is a sign that more people are entering the field with care in their heart and attempting to make the hobby more enjoyable...
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #14 
dragonfair

I went to Petco a while back looking for a smaller watt adjustable heater (hard to find, btw). They didn't have any and the clerk was baffled as to why I would want to heat my betta tanks. She was also baffled as to why I would put just one fish in a 10 gallon tank and want to maintain it. She even said to me that it was kind of strange. I was offended and asked her nicely if that was a problem for her. Heh heh...

But... I went to this local non-chain store and the people there seemed to really care. I liked that even though the place is so expensive I can't shop there.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #15 
vaygirl

Yeah, I got the same deal at Petco when I asked about replacing a heater from a sick betta tank. She was horrified that I was heating a betta tank. She tried to make me feel bad about it. I nicely told her "I heat all my tanks and I'm going to continue to do so." She rolled her eyes at me. I don't go there for fish supplies any more.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #16 
kaythenewbie

There's a guy at my Petsmart who's a fish genius. He always tries to talk people out of buying betta bowls that are less than a gallon and is always explaining about heaters. When anyone buys a fish (any fish!) he asks about their tank, how long it's been cycled, what's in it, etc. It's awesome.

Unfortunately the employee that covers on his day off is a complete and utter moron when it comes to fish.
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #17 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Yeah, I got the same deal at Petco when I asked about replacing a heater from a sick betta tank. She was horrified that I was heating a betta tank. She tried to make me feel bad about it. I nicely told her "I heat all my tanks and I'm going to continue to do so." She rolled her eyes at me. I don't go there for fish supplies any more.
I hope you complained about her, for the eye roll. I don't care if a employee doesn't agree with me, but no need to be flat out rude.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #18 
jessiepbg

I've met some great petmart/co employees and I've met some who were only useful for finding where things were on the shelves. I ran into this really knowledgeable guy at the Petsmart closest to me who I'm hoping to find again tonight. He walked me through the different types of tanks he had and gave me some good suggestions on what fish to put in with my Betta. He's the first good fish person I've met at that particular store though. The last one just looked at me blankly when I asked him if aquarium salt was a good idea in my circumstances. All he knew was where it was on the shelf.
I got a pleasant surprise from a young employee at the Petco I rarely go to. I don't know what it was about him, but he didn't look like he had a clue about fish. Then I started asking him about Cories for my Betta tank and he was just so excited to find someone who wasn't trying to put something flashy in a tank with their Betta. He's going to try to order me in some Panda Cories with their next shipment and I'm all excited.
jessiepbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #19 
Ethan

At mine they tell me you have to keep male bettas apart and I'm thinking duh because like 2 employes will tell me at each store and I'm about to say to them I have a lot more bettas then ya think!!!!!lol
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote