Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #21 
Jupiter

Ah, no worries, I wasn't directing it at you really...

But I'm setting it up right now, you're right-the interior is actually smaller than I expected. The piece of driftwood I bought is way too big for the tank, I'll have to return it.

On another note, this tank isn't new! :/ I bought it at Petsmart, but the light area has water marks and there's some crusted fish food on the feeding lid. And the manual that should be there to help me with the hood isn't there...

It doesn't come with any filter media, either! This is really frustrating...I JUST took down my 10 gallon tank, but I have to return this 5 gallon. >:/

Last edited by Jupiter; 10-29-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #22 
vaygirl

At least you know they take them back. :P I did the same thing with the driftwood. The only kind that works is a long Mopani single stick or a flat piece you can lay against the side to make like a little hidey hole.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #23 
Jupiter

I don't know for sure if they will! I hope so! I've kept the receipt just in case...

Well, I got the driftwood from Big Al's, and they're pretty good about exchanges. I got a piece of mopani wood, but it's very big and gnarled, so I'll go look for something much smaller and flat instead.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:40 AM   #24 
Hadouken441

Dwarf Hairgrass isnt a beginner plant. And its not about watts per gallon any more. Very inaccurate way of knowing if you have enough light. Get the right color spectrum and if you dont have Co2 at all your going to waste money and kill the plant or if your lucky it will stay alive but not carpet at all. If you want a easy carpet get Minuta Marsilea. Requires really no attention.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #25 
Posaune

Swords are really easy plants too (at least with my experience, mine are just taking off in my ten gallon). I don't have a co2 system, but I do have a plant growing light.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #26 
Jupiter

Alright, thanks for the advice. Swords aren't bad either, but don't they grow to be very big?

Anyway, I bought some Java moss and from looking at it, there seems to be a tiny plant sprout stuck in one of them. Freebie! :P

Also, can anyone answer my moss ball question? Whether there's a way to clean it so that it's safe for me to transfer over to the new tank?

Anyway, this weekend my aunt took me to another Petsmart, where I exchanged the tank. So I'll be hopefulyl setting it up tomorrow night. Janus is pretty grumpy in his large cup.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #27 
cballas

Whoa...That is lame they sold you a used tank...they didn't even bother to clean it beforehand?? wth?
My first Eclipse didn't have a biowheel when I opened it up from Petco. This all makes me wonder how many returns they get (possibly USED) that they don't clean or mention to a buyer...and then the previous owner's fish bacteria gets on your fish because nobody says to BLEACH a "new" tank. Grrr...
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #28 
Jupiter

I know! The manager who helped me was pretty surprised too, he said he'd be calling the store to deal with it. But thankfully the new one that I'm currently setting up is actually NEW, lol. It has everything the other one was missing, and it's clean.

I still need to go exchange the driftwood and get some ore live plants. Pictures to come once I finish the set up.

Last edited by Jupiter; 11-02-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #29 
Posaune

To answer your question about the swords, they do get big :P But I consider that a good thing about them. As far as I can tell they're also very hardy.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #30 
Jupiter

Well, I was just cleaning out my moss because it had a TON of duckweed and snails in there, but looks what else I found!

There are three of them, all seem to be the same type of plant. Is it Java fern?