Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #1 
Dannie

Betta with a mustache

I just noticed a few moments ago that my betta who i've had for a month now has a mustache that I don't remember him havin' before now. My water I keep pretty prestine, I clean out all the poop and food every other day and do partial waterchanges weekly. He lives in a 75 gallon tank. I can't think of anything that would cause it, aside from maybe addin' a few new plants to the tank yesterday.

Here's a photo. I'm glad he sat still long enough for me to take a photo. Those spots on him aren't ick. Just lil water bubbles and particles. They came off after he swam away.

Dannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #2 
Dannie

I moved the betta to a hospital tank for now, if it is a fungus do I need to treat the original tank? i've checked the fish, none of them are acting strangely or have any similar patches on them.

Housing

What size is your tank?75
What temperature is your tank?75
Does your tank have a filter? yes ( one meant for a 90G
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 baby angel fish, 2 swordfin platys, 2 hatchet fish, 3 clown loaches, clown pleco, common pleco, singapore shrimp, 2 raphael catfish, and 1 super small fire eel. Most are temporarily bein' housed there while we prepare for a move.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-gold, blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? the pellets once int he morning and once in the afternoon, the bloodworms are a night snack for the fish

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? a few gallons out every other day to pick up poop,food, etc
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 10%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat or stress zyme

Water Parameters:

-Not available just yet- I changed the tank water when I moved the betta so I'm givin' the new water time to mix and such.
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:na
Nitrite:na
Nitrate:na
pH:na
Hardness:na
Alkalinity: na

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?As of today he has a white mustache on hsi face
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?still fairly active and good appetite
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet- Not sure what it is
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Never had an issue with him before
How old is your fish (approximately)?Na
Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #3 
JKfish

Dose the hospital tank with aquarium salt for now. It looks like cotton mouth to me, but we'll need someone else's opinion. Cotton mouth spreads easily, so keep a close eye on your other fish.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #4 
Adastra

If your betta had some kind of infection, you'd probably see a big change in behavior or appetite to indicate how ill he is. If he's active and eating, it's probably just an age-related color change. Some bettas lighten up around the eye sockets and then mouth as they age, if the area hasn't changed in texture and he's acting fine, it's probably nothing at all to worry about. Just keep an eye on him for a bit for fair measure, I doubt you'll have to do more than that. :)

If I were you, I would probably start making longterm plans to move the betta into his own tank since you'll probably have issues with him and those angelfish eventually.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #5 
Dannie

Well whatever it was it spread rather quickly. In the span of a few hours. By the time the stores were open for me to get fungus meds, it was all the way up his face and over his eyes. By the time I got back with the meds, he had passed on... :C

I'm treatin' the main tank, but so far i haven't seen any signs of white around the mouth or anywhere else on any of the fish..sso I don't know if I should do the full treatment or just a light one. I have a spiney eel in the tank so I'm worried about doin' a full treatment and him gettin' sick from it. I half dosed the tank yesterday, because i've read that skinless fish need things in half doses.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #6 
Adastra

Oh my, I figured since he was still active and eating that it was probably a benign color change--some older bettas do tend to get pale in that area as they age. Sorry for your loss. If it was that bad by the time you noticed it, there probably was not anything you could have done for him.

What are you treating the tank with? Most fish have an immunity to columnaris that doesn't break down unless they are under stress for some reason, so it may not spread to your other fish if they are healthy. You might want to very slowly lower the temperature in the tank to the low tropical range--75-76 degrees. This will help slow its growth if any of the other fish managed to contract it.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #7 
Dannie

He was a real trooper. I was sad to see him go. Wonderful fish. I bought something called Pimafix. The people at the first store told me it worked well and they used it in their tank. I've only put one dose in, I still haven't seen any signs of it on the other fish I've been keepin' an extra close eye on them since I initially discovered my betta's plight. They still seem in the clear, everyone has a healthy appetite and their colours are still as bright as they've always been, and active. The tank is at 75 degrees right now.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #8 
Adastra

I hope it works as a preventative, lol. Pimafix isn't real medicine in the same way malachite green or antibiotics are--it's more of a healing agent/antiseptic for cuts and ulcers. If any of them start really acting sick it will probably not help, so if they show symptoms, you should isolate them and treat them with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Triple Sulfa and avoid treating the entire tank if you can avoid it since it'll totally screw up your bacterial colony.

Supposedly the stuff has some value as a preventative in these situations, but I don't think I've ever seen any definitive studies that have led me to believe that the stuff was anything more than snake oil. Hopefully it works for you! My fingers are crossed.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #9 
Dannie

I'll have to check out and see if the store has some of that then. I'd rather have something that has a good chance of curing them rather than something that won't. Should I continue usin' the pimafix then? Since none of them are showin signs of bein' ill.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #10 
Adastra

Honestly, I wouldn't dump a bunch of antibiotics in the tank if the fish aren't showing symptoms. There is a chance that if you removed the betta soon enough the others will not get it--most fish have a degree of immunity to columnaris since it is such a common bacteria in aquaria. You might want to have some on hand, though.