Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2014, 03:11 AM   #1 
yogosans14

Will Mystery snails escape the tank even with a lid?

My lid has a opening in it for feeding and to put the filter and heater in it, will they still try and get out?
yogosans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #2 
Kasablanca

I just experienced this. I have a 20gal with a lid and I just changed filters from a waterfall type to an internal one as my tank is in my room and i couldnt stand the sound of the waterfall. I didnt think that opening was a big deal. Well 2 days later I couldnt find my snail. I thought maybe he was in the back hiding under the leaves where it gets dark (his favourite place). That night I was washing my floor and I noticed a shell on the ground near my power bar for the tank. Turns out he must have escaped. I felt so bad! Poor little guy.

So I recommend covering it up!
Kasablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #3 
kevinap2

IME, Mystery Snails will not go far above the water line except to lay eggs. Nerites on the other hand, are escape artists and will frequently escape even where there is the smallest hole. I once found one a good two feet away from my tank on my kitchen counter.
kevinap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #4 
UpNorthChickadee

Agree with above. Only my female mystery snails have ever left the water to either lay eggs or scout for a future place to lay them. When they're laying eggs, they like to be completely out of the water. Leave at least 2 1/2" of space above the waterline for egg laying so they won't feel a need to go further up. They can also get eggbound if they don't have a place to lay them.
UpNorthChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:58 PM   #5 
Aeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinap2 View Post
IME, Mystery Snails will not go far above the water line except to lay eggs. Nerites on the other hand, are escape artists and will frequently escape even where there is the smallest hole. I once found one a good two feet away from my tank on my kitchen counter.
looking for food????? lol
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote