Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #1 
Rimbaum

Bigger than expected used tank - possible tankmates?

Hello! I recently acquired a 29 gallon high tank, used with a bunch of accessories. It comes with a 100w heater and a Tetra Whisper 30, both of which look in good shape, but I haven't tested either yet. I'd absolutely LOVE to move Ahti up from his 1.5 gallon tetra cube to the new tank, once we have the money to set it all up, hopefully with some plants and a nice bed of sand.

I was thinking of getting some Otos and possibly either Celestial Peal Danios or some cory cats, but I'm clueless as to stocking levels that are good with my filter, and what exact species I should look for. Would otos and cory cats be good tankmates with a betta? I've heard of success with them before. Would the danios be okay, or do you think they'd be too flashy? I really don't want to have to keep Ahti in his smaller tank when I could keep him with some nice peaceful community fish.

In all honesty I was expecting maybe a 20 gallon. Getting a 29 gallon was a lot more than I counted on, although it makes me glad because I'd rather have the extra room for my fish.
Rimbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

Go to www.aquadvisor.com and plug in your specifics. Some others don't care for the site but I do as it tends to be conservative and give compatibility cautions people don't want to hear.

I have always added Otos after a tank is cycled as I find them to be a bit delicate; same with Pygmy Cories if that's the Cory you're considering. I've not had the larger Cories for years so can't comment on them. Use hardier fish if you do a fish-in cycle (as I do). Even though it's small, use the filter from Ahti's current tank along side the new one for six weeks to help the cycle. Also, any sand or gravel from his cube. You can put it in a stocking if you don't intend to use it in permanently in the 29.

Here's a great site for Micro fish. It gives parameters, species temperaments and best numbers to maintain optimum health:
Freshwater Fish | Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

I also suggest you not add a bunch of fish all at once to avoid over burdening the beneficial bacteria. You could add a few of each species at a time over a couple of weeks once the tank is cycled. But, like Aqadvisor, I'm more conservative.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:54 PM   #3 
Rimbaum

I was thinking of some peppered cories, actually. I saw some in person and they're absolutely adorable.

I saw that the stocking levels for doing all three species (otos, peppered cories, and CPDs) with a betta were okay, but I'm worried about the filter. AqAdvisor recommends more filtration for keeping them all together, but you mentioned it was a more conservative site. Could I reasonably get away with a Tetra Whisper 30? Or should I back off on the fish if I want to keep the filter? I plan on adding a decent amount of plants before adding new species, so that should help, right?

As for stocking the tank, I was thinking of starting out with just Ahti and getting him acclimated to the larger tank, and adding about half of the number of each species each week after I get some live plants in there.

So I'd get Ahti in, get some live plants a week or two later, add about half of the hardier species, wait a week, add the other half of the hardier species, wait a week, etc down the line

And we're mostly waiting a week each time because of paydays :P my parents don't want to spend too much all at once.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #4 
Rimbaum

Got my tank set up and I'm waiting for the water to warm up and the sand to settle before introducing any fish. I'm hoping I get some live plants in tomorrow, a friend mailed out some clippings and sent them priority.

I don't have any fish to add just yet except for my lovely crowntail, Ahti. Is it a good idea to add him first and introduce other fish later? Also, I checked locally and no one nearby sells CPDs, but I found several different places to get peppered corys and otos. Should I just stick with the cats and let Ahti have the middle and top of the tank to himself? He loves swimming near the middle and bottom of his current tank, so I'm thinking he'll go all over in the big one.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu

Congratulations! I'm setting up a new tank, too, and it is loads of fun.

I don't remove a Betta when I introduce new fish. If you do the floating bag method turn off the lights while the bag is floating, leave them off when you release the fish and turn them back on 20-30 minutes later.

Agree with you about Peppered Cories ... they are too cute. I love the antics of the Otos as they flit from leaf to leave or Hoover up the side of the aquarium

Have you looked at Rasboras? They are nice, colorful little fish and quite peaceful. I have male Endlers and male Dwarf Panda Guppies. Of the two, I prefer the Guppies as they are more peaceful but Endlers and Endlers hybrids are pretty colorful. Mine are mid- to top-dwellers.

You could also have a really nice shoal of 15+ Ember Tetras. You could start out with six and gradually build the shoal as large as you wanted and if Ahti tolerated them.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #6 
n25philly

I have peppered corys and they are hardy and a lot of fun, you'll definitely enjoy them.

I would advise against the celestial pearl danios, they are pretty little fish, but being small and super shy if you have any decent amount of decorations or plants you will likely almost never see them. I've yet to talk to anyone that has had them that didn't have some level of disappointment due to how little they see them.

My favorite small schooling fish are espei rasboras. Not the most active, but they are always out, very hardy, and have awesome colors as they are metallic orange and under a good light will practically glow.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #7 
Rimbaum

I'm trying to stick to fish I can find locally, especially species I can find at the local Meijer, despite it not being a pet or fish store. This meijer takes decent care of their fish, and it's where I got Ahti from and he's been doing marvelously. I live out in a small town with no pet stores closer than 20 miles away, so buying fish at Meijer, which has almost identical water parameters, I've heard will help to acclimate the fish better.

The peppered corys at Meijer looked in fantastic shape. And I believe they have harlequin rasboras there, too. I'm hoping for a mid-tank dweller to round out the tank, would harlequin rasboras do well?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #8 
n25philly

Yes, Harlequins are very similar to the espei's I mentioned (I actually have 1 harlequin in my school that was mistakenly in with the espei's and didn't notice for around 6 months) they are mainly just bigger and a little tougher to get the intense colors from. They are hardy and pretty fish and would fit that need
Old 09-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #9 
Rimbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by n25philly View Post
Yes, Harlequins are very similar to the espei's I mentioned (I actually have 1 harlequin in my school that was mistakenly in with the espei's and didn't notice for around 6 months) they are mainly just bigger and a little tougher to get the intense colors from. They are hardy and pretty fish and would fit that need
Thank you so much! I'll check out how many Harlequins I can keep.

I have Ahti acclimating to the new tank right now. He hates being in his little cup, haha. But I'm positive the bigger tank will be great for him. He seems to hate small spaces.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #10 
n25philly

Depends on how many you get of everything else, but you could probably do 7-9