Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #1 
BettaMan

Cleaning Filter Cartridge

Oldfishlady gave me this great advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
...On your filter media-give it a swish/rinse in old tank water or dechlorinated water a couple of time a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain water flow....you want it to look dirty...this is the good bacteria-it also need good water flow and oxygenated water to colonize on the surface area of the filter media...
I just wanted to make sure doing this is okay. Also, should I ever replace my filter cartridge? I have an Aqueon 2.5 gal Minibow.\

Thanks
BettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It depend on if you want to use carbon or not-

If not, then change the filter media when it is falling apart-all that is needed is the couple of monthly rinse/swish in tank water

If you want to use carbon it will need to be changed usually every 2-4 weeks or per the package direction-

In small aquarium when you change the filter media- I would just add an extra 50% water only change in your regular water change schedule for a week or so when you change the filter media

In larger tanks-cut the old sponge off the cartridge and add it to the filter for a week or so to seed the new filter media

When I used store bought filter media I would cut a slit in the cartridge and dump the carbon out and save it for later if needed-I changed out my filter media 1-2 times a year at most-now I make my own

Water change will do nearly the same thing as carbon-removal of odor, color/tannins, medication...etc.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
When I used store bought filter media I would cut a slit in the cartridge and dump the carbon out and save it for later if needed-I changed out my filter media 1-2 times a year at most-now I make my own

Water change will do nearly the same thing as carbon-removal of odor, color/tannins, medication...etc.......
How do you make your own? :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Poly-fill from the craft dept and cheese cloth........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote