Betta Fish Forum banner

Platys, bettas, and shrimp... Oh my?

986 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  willertac 
#1 ·
I have quite a dilemma on my hands.
I have a 10g housing 2 platys, a Glofish skirt tetra, and 3 ghost shrimp. One Platy is quite large and bossy (Dickory), while the other is half his size and follows him around(Hickory). The smaller one is also deformed and used to nip at one of my snails. The terra seems indifferent, though sometimes schools with them(One). The shrimp mind their own business.
In one of my 5g tanks, there is a female betta(Bandit). She was nippy towards an ADF I once paired with her, so it leads me to believe she is somewhat aggressive.
There is a male betta waiting for an available space in a tank I have yet to set up (for now, Fish). He is currently in a 2.5 QT and seems fine for now.
I plan on getting some Endlers for another 10g I have that has 2 nerites now. It's almost at the point where the weather changes to the colder temps and I don't have a heater in that tank right now.
Sooo...
My plan:
1. Move Bandit to Hickory & Dickory's tank
2. Move Fish to Bandit's 5g
3. Move the heater from the now unused QT to the 10g

I'm just worried about having Bandit and the others together. I don't want Dickory to become hostile toward her or her to them, an I don't want One to suddenly feel tail-nippy. I also don't want Bandit to feel hungry for shrimp.

Do you think I should go through with my plan? Or will platys, a betta, and shrimp make me say "oh my!"?

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey, I've kept betta with platys with no problems. My plakat currently has some platy tank mates, they get on really well! I used to have a snail with my plakat but he didn't like it at all!
I also have some endlers with another betta and there hasn't been any problems there either!

#4 ·
Well the female and the platies should do fine. But there are some other stocking issues. Platies are a grouping fish and need at least 4 to be happy. The skirt tetra may nip at the betta, it also needs to be in schools of at least 5-6. They also outgrow that tank.

Also every one of your tanks need a heater.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I had more fish in that tank, but I guess they weren't strong enough, as the others grew when they didn't and they hid a lot.
The 10 was the only applicable tank for the Tetra, and I was the only one able to bring him home (he was in a school tank). I have a 29, but I was planing on using that for something else... I'll see what I can do about that.
The temp on the heater-less tank is stable at 74, though. It did have a heater, but it stopped working so I replaced it temporarily with a 150 watt (the only other one I had) that was set aside for a larger tank, and I'm setting that up now so I need it. And I made sure the water would be okay for the snails that reside there before completely removing the heater.

UGH I need more room...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.