Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Okay, that heater is one of the harder type to regulate and they can get out of control if your not careful and monitor the temp pretty close.

I have several of these and anytime I get an elect surge I have to monitor my tanks or they will over heat or get too cold-if you can I would take it back and get a different type that has a dial in numbers and that can be used submersed due to your screen lid-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #12 
buzzbee

the knob is only being adjusted to initially set the temperature, until the water reaches 78
buzzbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #13 
Panthera

Yeah I'll get a new heater probably on Saturday, this'll have to do until then. Also could anyone please explain to me how exactly I do a 100% water change? What do I do with Adamu when I'm changing it, and do I have to pick up the whole tank?

Thanks! :P Oh yeah and he really seems to like this new tank, its his now, he's flaring at me whenever I walk by. That's a good sign right? Maybe I'll get a divider in a few weeks and get him a neighbor ;)
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #14 
Jupiter

If he came in a cup, just scoop him up in there with some water. Or you can find a small container/tupperware and put him in there while you change the water.

I doubt that you could lift the tank with all the gravel, decorations, and more than 50 pounds of water.

So first, do you have a gravel vacuum or a turkey baster? Use those to stir up the gravel and pick up the debris that's stuck...then you'll want to get a siphon and start sucking the water out into a bucket. Once you've removed all the water, replace with clean water. Try to make the new water match the temp. of the old water as closely as possible. And, obviously, you'll have to treat the new water with water conditioner.

Also, you'll want to occasionally (maybe monthly or so) remove all the decor and rinse it under hot water. I used a toothbrush to scrub them too.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 PM   #15 
Panthera

Thanks for your help! I've heard a lot about cycling while browsing the forums, but I also heard that its not healthy to do with a Betta already in the tank. If someone could please explain to me how exactly I would go about cycling with Adamu in the tank, and what I would need to do it, I would be really grateful. I'm also a bit worried about the ammonia build up, will he be okay if I do once a week 100% water changes until I start cycling?

Sorry if I sound a bit dense, I'm not really understanding everything yet xD
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote