Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #1 
wystearya

*sigh* Copepods - ?

First I had algae and now I seem to have some Copepods in my tank. I don't even know where they came from!

I saw just a few of these -very- tiny whitish "bugs" in my tank last night. After some online research, I think they are Copepods, more specifically, I think they are a type called "Cyclops".

It has only been a day or so since I got a timer for the aquarium light, it is now set to 9 hours a day. I also have stopped putting in fertilizer for the live plants. I am hoping this (and manual removal where possible) will help keep the hair algae I have under control.

Apparently the Copepods feed on algae. Not too bad, but I don't want a tank full of 'bugs' either! I only saw a few, it was right after I did a partial water change. I assume they had been hiding in the gravel before I disturbed it.

How do I get rid of them? Obviously I am trying to kill off most -if not all- of the hair algae. I assume this is what the Copepods are eating. I just wonder if there is anything else I could (or should) do..?

And, anyone have any ideas how they even got into the tank? I do feed some frozen foods now and then. Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp. Is it somehow possible the Copepods came from the frozen foods? Otherwise I am at a loss as to how they possibly got in the tank at all!

Thanks for any and all help,
~Wystearya
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Why do you want to rid the tank of free fish food and little helpers?

With aquariums comes all sorts of critters-most are harmless and often even a good sign of a healthy aquarium when you have some species of critters that appear

I would not worry about them and remove some with weekly vacuum/water change to keep them under control

To rid the tank you would have to use harsh chemicals that also could be harmful to the everything living in your little ecosystem you just created in a glass box and you would have to do over and over...etc........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #3 
wystearya

So, it's OK that they are in the tank?

I don't mind having them if they are not harmful. I do like that they eat algae. And I'd love to see Topaz hunt one down, lol!

Thank you OFL, your always very helpful!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote