Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #1 
hgual22

Does this sound good for a 10gal community?

I recently got a 10gal tank. Started out with 2 male bettas with a divider. After a week of getting the second betta he died unexpectedly. He seemed perfectly healthy, I dont know what happened. I cleaned the whole tank, did a 100% change and then put the surviving male back in. He has the whole 10gals now. I dont want to divide it again, but want to go ahead with my original plan. I was going to do a community before I fell in love with the second betta.

This is my plan. Please tell me any concerns you may have or if you think this is overstocking.

+6-8 Pygmy Corydoras
+8-10 Ghost Shimp
+1-2 Nerite snails
+1 elephant ear plakad betta

I am getting the snails and shrimp first. I want to be sure he is okay with the shrimp before getting the school of pygmy corys. Then I will get the corys in probably a month or so.
Does this sound good? I dont mind not getting the snails. I definitely want at least a few shrimp (I can get only a few though, if 8-10 is too much. Though their bioload is so little i think they are okay.) And I defintely want a school of small fish, and these guys seem to be perfect. Thanks!
hgual22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #2 
DatBetta

I think it's overstocked but idk I don't do that stuff so don't ask me anything about it haha. Just telling you to make sure your tank is cycled before adding others
DatBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #3 
tankman12

The stock is pretty good, if planted and you have sand.

How long has the tank been up?
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #4 
huckleberry77

The shrimp should go in last, because they need a well established cycle. Why not go to aqadvisor.com and see what they say about stocking level?
huckleberry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #5 
hgual22

I checked aqadvisor and it was good, just wanted to double check!

And The tank has been set up 2 weeks, but im sure I ruined the cycle doing the 100% water change. And yes it has lots of live plants and I will be getting more too.
It has gravel, not sand. And I took some stones from my other established tank so that should definitely help.

And about the shrimp. I got my 4 shrimp that are in my 5.5gal maybe, 3-4 days after setting it up, and they are all doing great. It was after I got them I learned the needed an established tank, but they are all alive and well. Super active and they dont hide much except for the first couple days. I was more worried about the Cories, which is why I was going to wait at least a month.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:11 AM   #6 
bluenail

Your only problem with this stocking list is what order to add your stock. Shrimp and corys should only be added to a mature tank, and bettas should be added last to minimize aggression. You are now in a catch 22. I have asked in forums all over the place about this very issue, and I get all kinds of different answers depending on where I am.
bluenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #7 
tankman12

Well with a lot of plants, they should be consuming the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. You would be fine adding the betta 1st. Cuz the cories and everything are out of the way. Since planted if there is a little aggression than they can go hide and it will eventually go away.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 AM   #8 
hgual22

Yeah I have lots of plants and hiding spots, and I am getting more plants tomorrow as well.
I had this betta in this tank divided with another male and he could care less when he saw him, so I dont think he is overly aggressive.

And if he isnt taking well to the cories or shrimp, I could always move him into my 5.5 and take my male from there into this tank. He is extremely docile and if anything the shrimp in his tank harass him. He is super calm and nice :)
Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #9 
tankman12

Ya that would work.
Posted via Mobile Device