Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #1 
Newtonbetta

1.5 Weeks in Divided Tank.. One of the bettas still flaring...

I have a Betta Bow 2.5 Gal from Aqueon.. I have two male bettas separated by a divider. While I realize some here may think the 2.5 is too small to divide, my question relates to the aggressiveness of one of the inhabitants... One of the bettas flares thru the divider at the other fish all the time.. The other one never flares and doesn't seem to care too much when he's flared at. They can't physically touch eachother thru the divider.

The research I've seen on the internet says that too much flaring is too stressful. Other webpages say it doesn't stress them that much and flaring is normal. Other pages say the aggressive guy will calm down eventually.

Any thoughts?
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #2 
Panthera

Well even though you probably don't want to hear it, at least part of the aggressiveness is most likely related to the small living quarters. From what I've read, 2.5 gallons is just enough for one fish, let alone two. Also they are two males, if they can see each other, they're going to flare. It's what they do. If I were you I'd either get a bigger tank, about 5 Gallons, or if you don't want to, at least put some plants along the divider so they can't see each other.

They're both going to get stressed out sooner or later.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #3 
Newtonbetta

Your response is reasonable, even though I didn't want to hear it .. It's just that space is the issue in my apartment. I put silk plants all along the divider on the less aggressive beta's side to hide him, but the aggressive guy patrols his side of the divider looking for his adversary quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Well even though you probably don't want to hear it, at least part of the aggressiveness is most likely related to the small living quarters. From what I've read, 2.5 gallons is just enough for one fish, let alone two. Also they are two males, if they can see each other, they're going to flare. It's what they do. If I were you I'd either get a bigger tank, about 5 Gallons, or if you don't want to, at least put some plants along the divider so they can't see each other.

They're both going to get stressed out sooner or later.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #4 
TaylorW

Is your divider glass or mesh or what? I'm just curious if they can see through it clearly or not. If it's clear or glass, that could be a big part of the problem.

They do have a hair over a gallon of water, which isn't bad, just not suggested by most forum members.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #5 
Colibri

I don't think that space has something to so with the fact that one male is more aggressive than the other. That's just the way bettas are, although some are more aggressive, and other more passive and calm. I would suggest you... instead of putting more plants on each side of the divider (because that would give them even less swimming space) is using a divider where they can't see each other at all. Flaring all the time will stress them out, and that's not a good thing for their health. I have a 5 gallon divided tank with a frosted glass, it's glass but not transparent. I have a female and a male living there, and that way they don't see each other (I guess though that if they come really close to the glass they somehow recognize the shape of another fish and flare, but, that almost never happens) and live peacefully. You should better try they don't know the existence of the other with such a divider, that way you'll leave them much more space to swim. (Although, you should really try giving them a larger tank... )
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #6 
Newtonbetta

Here's my setup below.. the guy on the left is the alpha male.. always patrolling the divider.. The guy on the right is pretty docile, loves sleeping in the plants. But I can't get the one on the left to behave!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Oh my, they can really see through that! Try to get something solid or a thick mesh that is very difficult to see through. That should solve your problem!

Stress is not good for your fish, so you might want to replace your divider :/
Old 11-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #8 
Newtonbetta

will mesh hinder filtration on the weak (right) side?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #9 
TaylorW

I think it should still let the water pass through fine. Hang on, let me find you the thread about making your own divider!

This thread is about a 10 gallon tank, but in your smaller tank I don't think the filter will be as big of a problem. I would still get a 2nd opinion though! :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=40025
Old 11-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #10 
Colibri

Hmm... I think that with that kind of filter if you used a glass it would only work on one side. Mine is an undergravel, so the filtration is everywhere. The mesh would still let the water flow through to the other side, and would make it more complicated for the boys to see each other. You should really try it out.

Edit: The tutorial TaylorW suggests is great! You could do that!

Last edited by Colibri; 11-05-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote