Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #1 
Arowan

Sponge Baffle Not Enough?

Can't tell if my fish is lazy or not, but he has just been chilling at the bottom of my new Hawkeye since I put him in there--I'd already cycled it.

Water parameters are optimal, and all that good stuff--even adding in live plants once I get some cash.

It currently has a sponge-baffle, which reduced the flow considerably for the majority of the tank, except for the right side, which my betta seems to avoid. I tried turning it off for awhile, and he explored the side for a bit--but the heat was uneven from my heater, so I turned it back on.

Is my fish just lazy, or do I need to do something extra with this baffle?
I'll try and get a picture of it, if needed...
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #2 
wystearya

I have a 5 gallon Hawkeye tank myself. I ended up having to use both a sponge and the plastic bottle method to reduce the flow enough. I did find out that raising the intake tube a bit can also reduce the flow. I know there is a tutorial somewhere on the Betta forum for making a filter baffle from a plastic water bottle. I'll try to get the link for you, it might help!

----

Edit -

Here is the link to the tutorial:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Last edited by wystearya; 11-03-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Adding link
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #3 
Arowan

Still not noticing much of a difference with adding the other baffle.

Left side is perfectly calm, right side is still too strong for my betta, it seems.

or he's just lazy/depressed. I think he's done best when in a gallon critter-carrier.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #4 
Imabee

I had the same problem with mine, no matter what I tried with sponges I couldn't get it right and my fish just didn't like it. I replaced the filter that came with my 2.5 gal kit with a Tom Mini Internal Filter, $15. I read about it online before I bought it and it seemed to get good reviews. I love this thing! You can change the direction and strength of the water flow, which i thought was cool. So far it's working great and my fish seems to be swimming around alot easier.
Imabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

Maybe you need a larger sized sponge? The AquaClear and Imagine brand sponges come in different sizes. I use sponge baffles with my Hawkeye 5 gal. tanks and don't have any problem at all.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #6 
Arowan

The sponge covers the entire front of the filter :)

The problem was the current coming out the right side of it--I moved my heater to block off that end, added the water bottle baffle, and raised the intake a bit.

Now it's perfect, though unfortunately my filter now makes a bit of noise.

Oh well, can't hear it over my fan anyway.

And my fish is just lazy.
Hopefully when the live plants get here monday, he'll perk up. Heather got in some lovely small driftwood, which I ordered. Can't wait to get planting!