Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #1 
LongTimeAquarist

Second Male Betta?

I don't know why but, I've been raising platys from when they were babies in a 20g tank, and right now I plan to give them away, only planning on keeping a couple of males, and for some reason, I feel the urge to buy another Male Betta, considering that I already have one in a 10g. I'm not sure, maybe it's the idea of seeing a betta in each tank that is making me like this, but if the time comes, and if it feels right, I just might end up doing it.
What I'm thinking of is a crowntail betta, and seen one in walmart in a color that I'm interested in, the body is what people would call a midnight blue, a blue so dark that it can be mistaken for black, and I think black fins. The chances of seeing that color again is rare, finding it on a healhy, friendly betta, would be the luck of the draw.
Anyway, the fish I have in the 20g are a bolivian ram, a few platy, a school of glowlight tetras, a clown pleco, a few peppered corys and a trio of nerite snails. Plus the tank has some live plants, so that should balance some things out.
LongTimeAquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #2 
MiriamandMoonlight

I think you should probobly do it :))) I understand about it being right or not! You really have to go with your heart about getting a new pet! Your brain might say "oh, I have room for another fish!" but there might not be a right fish for you at the time. Or you might say "I'm not responsible enough, so I shouldn't adopt another fish!" But an animal might be waiting to be taken into your life!
MiriamandMoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #3 
LongTimeAquarist

Oh I'm pretty responsible enough since I've been keeping the waters crystal clear, and the fish I have now have been nice and healthy for months. One thing I'm concerned about is that the betta I have now is a regular tail, and since I plan for a crowntail, I'm not sure how big a difference there is between the two.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #4 
MiriamandMoonlight

Great! I'm not an expert on breeds, but I don't think there's any reason why a crowntail is any different. The only differance is that ALL fish have different personalities and wants.
MiriamandMoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #5 
Crossroads

As an owner of several fin types (Two crowntails, Two veiltails, a Delta Tail, a halfmoon plakat and a Giant (either plakat or roundtail, can't tell)) I can safely say there are no differences in care. All the tail types amount to are mutations that have been bred for. They are all betta splendens :>
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #6 
LongTimeAquarist

What about personality? Will the crowntail be meaner then the regular?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #7 
Crossroads

It varies from fish to fish I think. My big crowntail Mako is a major showoff, and will flare at his reflection for like 3 minutes straight and is a major bully while my smaller crowntail is meeker and has a pretty shy personality. All of my fish are different. My plakat is a spazz, giant just lumbers around, Delta tail is a real show off and flare happy or other males but tolerates tankmates just fine. Even my veiltails are completely different, Natal is super flare happy and flares at anything that goes in his tank. Food, dividers, fingers all of them get a few second flare before he determines that they are alright. Angelos on the other hand would rather stare at you from the safety of his plants.

With you introducing the betta to an already established community tank he's less likely to be aggressive. Aggression stems from defending territory so he won't see it as his to be defended from the community members. He'll eventually see it as his territory, but should have gotten used to the other tank mates. Also the plants might help with any aggression as they will give the fish under attack a place to hide.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #8 
LongTimeAquarist

So what you are saying that bettas are the same way despite the different tails, they all have their own personalities. Nice to know. I'll buy one as soon as find homes to some of the platys before they get big enough to give me babies to deal with, especially since I just found out that I'll be raising baby snails as well. Go figure.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #9 
Crossroads

Haha, yeah. I think that's why I'm so addicted to bettas. So many personalities, no two seem to be exactly alike even if they are visually similar.

Awww, baby snails <3 So cute!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #10 
LongTimeAquarist

Well, one of them I saw, I think just hatched since it looked like a blob with a shell starting to grow out of it. Right now, I'm hoping down the road that I won't be forced to order an Assassin Snail or two for population control.

Tags
male betta