Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #11 
peaches3221

oh, no! I'm so sorry! and he was so pretty, too! (he was the one in your avatar, right?) RIP Stormrunner
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #12 
Capricorn

He was the one that's currently my avatar, yeah.

Nettle is still fine as of this morning, so I want to think that it was just his time to go. Nothing else in their tank seems out of order, I can't find an explanation for it. As long as he's not hurting anymore, I can accept that.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #13 
TaylorW

Awww, I am so sorry!! At least you didn't have to do it your self, he must have just been ready to go.... I am so sorry for your loss :(
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #14 
Colibri

I'm so sorry Capricorn. He was a handsome fish. Always remember him in the good days, not like he was in his last two. :(

RIP Stormrunner
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #15 
Adastra

Sorry for your loss. :(

To chime in on the euthanasia issue, though--it is a very personal decision and it's really not something that anyone online can advise you on since we are not there and we cannot see when you're seeing. However, generally, I think it's best to euthanize when the fish cannot eat/has no will to eat, has difficulty breathing, and difficulty swimming. These three things seriously affect their quality of life, particularly eating and breathing. There are some curable conditions that cause loss of appetite, mainly internal parasites, but if the fish continues to show no will to eat after treatment, it's best to put them down. Conversely, if the fish continues to eat as they are deteriorating, I believe they are still showing you their will to live, so in that case, I would hold off.

As for the best euthanasia techniques--the only two I would use are the clove oil/eugenol or finquel method, or blunt force trauma. Blunt force trauma (i.e. crushing the fish in one quick blow with a blunt object such as a brick) can be quite traumatic for the owner, but it is a very quick and merciful death. It can be a viable option for people who cannot find finquel or clove oil/eugenol. Finquel is an anesthetic designed for use in fish and can be ordered here: http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/ The only local place I've been able to find clove oil/eugenol is GNC: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp...74024&kwCatId=
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #16 
Capricorn

Thanks Ada. I think clove oil would be hard enough for me, let alone blunt force trauma. e.e I'll remember this for if I ever (though hopefully not) come across something else like this again. Had he still been around today I feel that it would have been best for him to be put to sleep.

Thanks to everyone else as well for your opinions and words of advice, it means a lot. My parents are being sympathetic to me, but I think it really takes a fish keeper to understand that it's just like losing a cat or dog.

Thanks to all of you again, I mean it.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote