Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

White stringy poo...is this new......sometimes this can be a sign of internal parasites.......nearly all fish have internal parasites in low numbers but will not be symptomatic/problematic for the fish and they pass them on a regular basis, watch your Betta and your cory cats for other sign or problems related to internal parasites and treat as needed.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 PM   #12 
Alex09

Yup - definitely white stringy poo. Not sure if its new but I haven't seen it before. And now, despite the fact I haven't fed him, he's even MORE bloated :( Should I go to the store and see if they have any anti-parasitic meds? Or should I just continue to do the epsom salt treatment?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

How many days have you been doing the Epsom salt?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 PM   #14 
Alex09

Today is day 2.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #15 
Alex09

day 3
Old 11-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #16 
Colibri

How is your little man doing? Is he still very bloated?
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #17 
Alex09

Not VERY bloated but yes - still bloated. Noticed some more white poo at the bottom of his container so I did a WC. The poor guy had intense stress stripes. It's been 3 days since I last fed him. may go to the petstore later and see if they have any meds.

will try to get some pics later today
Old 11-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #18 
Colibri

You could try giving him some brine shrimp... they're good fiber. I really hopes he gets better. I have a good remedy for treating parasites... but, I'm sure many here would kill me for it, he! Or, maybe not... who knows.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
You could try giving him some brine shrimp... they're good fiber. I really hopes he gets better. I have a good remedy for treating parasites... but, I'm sure many here would kill me for it, he! Or, maybe not... who knows.
Please share....

I would continue the Epsom salt for at least 7 more days....since I don't use OTC meds to treat I can't recommend anything and my internal parasite method take 6 weeks (fresh crushed garlic) and that may be too late for your guy.....
Old 11-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #20 
Colibri

Well... what I do is the next.

Here in Mexico, there are two types of brine shrimp you can usually find. One that is cultured at home by someone who sells it, and one that's captured (I don't know where for certain, but OK...). I always try to buy the one that's cultured because the other one usually has parasites that can affect the fish. So, what I do (it was suggested to me by a friend of mine who owns a fish store and really knows a lot about fish) is take a syringe of 3 ml, fill it with just a little, well, here it's called "desparasitante" but I believe such a word doesn't exist in English... so, it's the liquid we humans drink every year or so to kill the parasites we may have inside. That done, I use 2 drops maybe 3 on 1lt of water. I then put some live brine shrimps to swim in the water for 15 minutes or so, they'll absorb the "desparasitante" and then I give them to the fish. I do it every 6 months and haven't suffered, so does my friend, of any parasites in mi fish and I surely hope it keeps this way. !