Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 12:12 AM   #1 
GravityKitty

Aquarisol and Snails

I got some Aquarisol recently to use as a preventive thing so that I don't have to worry about my fish getting ick, velvet, etc. The bottle says it's not safe for snails, but I was wondering if that's for all snails or just some.

Don't worry, I haven't put it in my tank yet. I have one horned nerite snail in my tank. I was just wondering if anyone else has had experience using Aquarisol with snails.
GravityKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It is a copper based medication and can be deadly for shrimp, snails and some plants and once you get copper residue in your tank and/or decoration it can be near impossible to get it off and it can have long term affects......... you may never be able to keep shrimp and snails alive in the tank.....I would not recommend you using it especially as a weekly preventive
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #3 
doggyhog

If you keep the temps stable and the water clean you shouldn't have to worry about those diseases at all. I'm with OFL I would not use anything like that in the tank if there are inverts that are/going to live there.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #4 
GravityKitty

Alright, thanks! I just wanted to make sure. I guess it's still good to have it around though just in case, but I'll make sure that I have a hospital tank if god forbid my fish gets sick. I don't want residue on my aquarium.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #5 
Adastra

Hm, in my experience, I haven't found copper sulfate to be particularly useful. If you haven't opened it yet, I would return it. It's not a good preventative, and as a treatment for ich/velvet, I have never seen it work at all. Both times that I have treated ich infested fish, I started with copper and it got a lot worse and had to switch to malachite green. Malachite green is a much, much more potent and effective treatment for ich/velvet, and personally, if I ever have to use medication to help kill an infestation, I will go straight for the malachite green every time. If I were you, I'd return the Aquarisol and get a good malachite green medication (Quick Cure, Jungle's Ick Clear) if you're trying to plan ahead.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:11 PM   #6 
GravityKitty

Unfortunately, I got it off of the internet, so I would have to pay return shipping and it'd probably cost as much as the refund. Hopefully I won't ever have a need for it, but I'll take your advice if the need arises.