Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #1 
bettalover6

Confused Betta Owner

Hi there,
I have a male betta I have had for just over four months. He has always slept at the bottom of the bowl, hiding under his rocks, but lately he barely comes out at all...I do not have a heater for his bowl as none of my other bettas have had one. He will come out in the morning to eat and then go right back to hide in the stones and plant. I am thinking it may just be the temprature of the water being too cold... He doesn't seem to be sick with Ick or anything like that, but any advice/suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated... Really don't want anything happening to my Sargo.
Thanks in advance, Brianna.
bettalover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #2 
Colibri

Please answer the questions given in the following thread so we can help you.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #3 
bettalover6

Thanks for the response...I am going to post a picture in a minute...seems like he has gotten worse overnight.
Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? room temp, not sure of the exact temp
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra Betta flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 7-9 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? colours have dulled, almost looks like blotches on him especially near his head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? used to come up for his food (not eaten for two days), stays at the bottom of the bowl the whole day except to come up for quick breaths, breathing heavily,
When did you start noticing the symptoms? two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no, dont know what it is or how to treat it. I have moved him to the kitchen counter where light shines on him more and am watching to make sure it doesn't get too hot.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4 months since ive had him, not sure he long he was at the store
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #4 
Panthera

Well first of all for a 2 gallon tank, having a water change no matter how big every 7-8 days is nowhere near how often you should be doing them. With a 2 gallon I would do a 50% change at least every other day. The Tetra Flakes are not what Betta's should be eating. Look for pellets, ones that say Betta Bites or say that they are for Betta's. They can't eat flakes, because flakes mostly contain grain and vegetables, which Betta's can't digest.

Even though your Betta may be in room temperature water, the temp most likely fluctuates throughout the night, which is not good for Betta's. If I were you I'd get a 25 watt heater at a Petco or Petsmart, they're only about $10 and Betta's really need them. The staying at the bottom of the bowl and the breathing heavily is probably because he's lethargic. But I'm not an expert, so one of the more experienced members might be able to help you out more.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #5 
bettalover6

Of course when I took pictures he starts swimming around the tank... Sorry the quality isn't the greatest.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #6 
bettalover6

Thank you ! Any of your help is appreciated.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #7 
bettalover6

I have a ONE(1) gallon tank. Sorry! Typing in a panic...
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #8 
Panthera

Well for a 1 Gallon tank you need to do a 100% water change every other day. You may have heard this before, but Betta's really do need a 2.5 Gallon to live in at the least. A heater won't work in a 1 gallon, so I'd suggest upgrading to a bigger tank if possible.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #9 
Colibri

Indeed, bettas need a minimum of 2.5 gallons to live happy and healthy. It's also necessary that you get a heater so the temperature doesn't fluctuate through out the day. You should get one that's adjustable, not a preset heater unless the place you live has a steady temperature day and night.
Your fish might be suffering of lethargy because of the constant temperature changes, if the water gets to cold their metabolism slows down and they get that way. Or, maybe he's suffering of ammonia poisoning, because you really should be doing 100% water changes every 3-4 days, or a 25-50% every day for a 1 gallon. The bigger the tank, the less water changes you need to do, you can also get a little filter (an under gravel one maybe) for a 2.5 gallon tank.
So, the bigger the better for you and your fish! !
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Live or fake plants? hard for me to tell.....you take great pic btw and you have a lovely Betta.....

In a 1gal unfiltered tank-I would do at least 1-50% and 1-100% a week water changes on a regular basis-provided that you are removing any uneaten food after feeding.

At this point-I would start by making- 100% daily water changes for the next 3-4 days and get your water quality improved and see if that won't perk him up.
It is really important to maintain a stable water temp in the 76-80F range for this species to thrive-get a thermometer and check your water temp and look into getting a heater (unless you live in a warm climate)
I use the pre-set tetra type heaters for my 1gal unfiltered Betta containers and it maintains the water temp in the 76-78F range without problems
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote