Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 
CatherineMPLS

Normal swimming behavior?

With my past bettas, none of them seemed to have as much energy as this one. Maybe it's because he has a better environment (live plants and larger tank). But it seems to me that he is either really really happy, really bored & restless..... or maybe has betta A.D.D.

An average day typically includes:
-Swimming through the plants
-Seems to like swimming into the water current made by the filter
-Chases the shrimp (but when he finally "catches" them he just swims away -- does NOT eat them... yet ).
-He also seems to like "chasing" his food swirling in the current on the water surface. At first I would turn the filter off when feeding but he would just look at the food and not eat it. I then tested my "theory" and turned the filter back on, he chased the food around and ate it all up.

But sometimes... for prolonged periods (maybe 15-20 minutes) he'll just swim back and forth in one area (in the front) then take a lap or two around the tank and then resume his pacing once again.
He doesn't bump into anything, but him doing this is what makes me think something's not quite right. But if I knew why he was doing this, I wouldn't be posting here

Here's a short video (taken with my phone) to give you an idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fODNCNo6Rrs

Any thoughts? Thanks!
CatherineMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #2 
CatherineMPLS

Another note - the pH is currently 6.4-6.5

I'm still trying to figure out why it's so low - thinking it's the liquid CO2 for the plants. My tap water is at 8.8. And when I did a PWC on Saturday, the pH was 7.6ish. So it's dropped a lot in a short amount of time.

Again, I'm not sure if pH has any effect on his behavior though.
CatherineMPLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #3 
BettaMan

To me, it sounds like your Betta fish is acting normal. Sometimes they just need to rest. I'm sure some more experienced members will help you out.

Also, about the pH level, it doesn't necessarily have to be a the correct level. Most Betta fish can adapt to whatever the pH level is. (Obviously it has to be in a considerable range.)
BettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote