Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #1 
MizzVamp115

Betty the Jumper

So, I was doing my water changes just like I do every couple of days and I get to Betty's tank. I go about netting her and putting her in the cup she came in (I've saved all their cups except for Shuesters cause my cat broke it lol) and I go to sit her on the counter and put the lid on it when she jumped out!

I honestly about had a heart attack trying to scoop her little twitching body off my bathroom floor. Not to mention she's the second betta i've had end up on the floor. (I have a mischievous cat who knocked Phineas off the table one day.) Once I got her up and back in her cup she acted like nothing had even happened to her. I probably suffered from it more than she did lol.

Anyone else ever had any close calls with their bettas?
MizzVamp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:11 AM   #2 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Oh my, I would have been freaking out too!
I havent had any problems YET. When I was little and my mom kept bettas (before I knew any better) one jumped out of his bowl in the kitchen. THANKFULLY we were there. We had just gotten him and after that we named him after some kind of gun. I think colt. lol. Cause he "shot out" of the bowl. =]
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #3 
dragonfair

Oh, yeah. My Maximus flipped himself out of his cup during a water change and - thru a series of unfortunate circumstances lining up in perfect order - went right down the garbage disposal (which I normally keep covered up). Panic & tears ensued, but he was non the worse for wear...
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #4 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfair View Post
Oh, yeah. My Maximus flipped himself out of his cup during a water change and - thru a series of unfortunate circumstances lining up in perfect order - went right down the garbage disposal (which I normally keep covered up). Panic & tears ensued, but he was non the worse for wear...
Wow, that is so unlucky!
Thank god he was okay. I would have been so scared digging him out.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #5 
CrankyFish84

Tricky little suckers! Gotta admire the fight in them though :)

Thankfully never had one jump out of his changing cup, but they sure do make a ruckus
while in them, splashing about! lol
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #6 
Iziezi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyFish84 View Post
Tricky little suckers! Gotta admire the fight in them though :)

Thankfully never had one jump out of his changing cup, but they sure do make a ruckus
while in them, splashing about! lol
Dobby is always very quiet in his cup. Even when I put him in with no water one time (long story, traumatic water change), he just lay there quietly like a wet tissue. But the cup I'm using is a big plastic blue cup that he can't see out of. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #7 
Moldau

I have a cycled tank that is covered so I haven't had this problem with my betta, however I did have a platy, one of my first fish, jump out a long time ago. I don't know how long he was on the floor, but I thought he was dead. I was about to pick up what I thought was his lifeless body when he suddenly started flopping around! Very startling. He couldn't swim straight for a while after being put back in the tank, but soon he was fine. I'm just glad I found him before one of the cats did.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #8 
CrankyFish84

Moldau - Wow! You are very lucky :) My cats would have ate a fish on the floor up in 0.6 seconds!
Glad the fishy was Ok! They are hardy creatures aren't they?
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #9 
xswornxoffxjello

Oh yeah. Actually, as recently as yesterday. When I was feeding my sorority (they jump for food, which is a bad habit of theirs) Dakota shot clear out of the water, and I had to set down the food, slide her off the counter, and put her back in the water.

The closest call I had was when I walked in to my room to feed and I saw a girl on the floor. :O She was almost completely dry and I thought she was dead for sure. But nope, she was just fine after a while. They sure are tough. :)
xswornxoffxjello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #10 
TaylorW

Ugh, I had a close call today!

I was changing Victor's water, so I put him in a Tupperware bowl while I cleaned the tank. I was trying to fish him out with the net and put him in his clean tank like I always do, when Victor decided to be ESPECIALLY stubborn.

After trying for a minute or so to get him out with the net, I started to get really upset because Victor was obviously angry and stressed, and I felt like a bad person for making him so upset.

Then my boyfriend says, "Hey, let me try!" So I gave him a shot, and the next thing I know, a piece of fin is floating in the bowl Don't think I didn't give him the worse look in the world

Then I start freaking out, waving my arms around yelling "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, VICTOR!!!" I shove my boyfriend out of the way and take the net. In the midst of my freak-out, I literally take my finger and put it on Victor's head and shove him into the net, scratching his head in the process.... I just HAD to get him back in that tank before worse things happened!

The little guy's fine, besides a scale and a small fin piece, but boy do I feel like a lousy fish owner!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote