Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #1 
Alex09

I gave up on the "planted" part of my tank [WARNING: Long Rant]

Most unfortunately I decided to remove the plants and stop the light on my planted tank :'( I have been battling with an algae infestation (Blue-green and green hair algae mostly) for months now. it has been choking my plants and making my tank look nasty. I got tired of it and gave up. I have tried altering my light, c02, ferts, WC's, algaecides, everything. Not even 100%WC changed anything. The algae kept coming right back. Couldn't find what could possibly be causing all this - I researched till my brain hurt. It didnt help that my mom was complaining that the electric bill was $20 more expensive this month - she wanted to blame it on me but there is no way my tank took up that much money. I even did the calculations which came out at around $7-8. But I told her I would turn off the light just to placate her. So this morning, I took one long look at my tank and said "screw it!"
I just took out my swords, wisteria, and apongetons. I left in the java ferns - hope they will be able to survive on just ambient room light. Couldnt bring myself to rip out the giant hygros though - they really are such beautiful plants. Probably wont live for long though :( Bought some plastic plants to replace them. Looking at them just makes me depressed. And to top it all off Tyrion is suffering some kind of parasitic illness. I currently have him QT'd.

Dont know why I'm even ranting at this but I just HATE giving up on something. May try again sometime later when I have more money to spend on all the fancy gadgets and stuff you need for a perfect planted tank.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #2 
Iziezi

So sorry to hear that Alex. I hear your frustration and sadness.
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #3 
Alex09

According to my research part of the reason for the BGA could be because I have such a low current in my tank. (I baffled the filter) and removing it was just not an option because then it would be noisy and it would be hard for my betta to swim.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #4 
bloo97

Awww, that sucks. Sorry, I know how you feel.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #5 
Comatose

Do you use beneficial bacteria on your tank?
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #6 
vaygirl

I have that same kind of algae in my ten gallon and my puffer tank. I keep putting pond snails in there to battle it and Kilo and Huey eat them. I feel your pain. It mostly attaches itself to my wisteria and my crypts. I pull it off, it comes back. If you COULD get some nerite snails, you could try them or ponds. None of my tanks with snails have major algae, only the two tanks without.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Thats too bad......you do have one last thing you can try for BGA and that is antibiotics since it is really a bacteria and not an algae.....Erythromycin
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #8 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Thats too bad......you do have one last thing you can try for BGA and that is antibiotics since it is really a bacteria and not an algae.....Erythromycin
Yeah I read about that. But i wasn't sure if it would be safe for the cores since they are scaleless fish. Could only find it online too.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Your right...I wouldn't use it with cory cats at the dosage needed for the BGA.....in a plant only tank no livestock for BGA you can use human medication E-mycin 250mg/10gal.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote