Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #11 
MrVampire181

I change my gallon jars once a week. I've never had any problems like that (but my jars are bare with no gravel or plants).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #12 
evilbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaEvangelist View Post
I don't think I've quarantined live plants. I've grown the betta bulbs in a separate bowl/dish just in case they didn't sprout and started rotting, but other than that, I don't quarantine live plants.

I got Wisteria and elodea from Petco in those small plastic cylinders with the gel at the bottom. I just rinsed the plants really well so the gel was washed off and plopped them in. I'm letting them float right now to be close to the light. I'll root them in the gravel once they have grown a little.

If the water is getting cloudy and the fish is getting sick, then a more rigorous water change schedule is needed, maybe until he gets better. Every 2 or 3 days with conditioner for the 1 gallon would be good just so your sick fish will be in clean water as much as possible. This will help him get better faster.

Hope he gets better. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks. I wasn't sure cause some people said I should and others didn't so I wanted some more feedback. I cleaned his tank last night and let it age until this morning. He was a lot happier. Thanks for the advice
evilbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #13 
MoePaac

Sensitive are we?

As has been said, you really should be increasing your water changes. Changing the water once a week in a 1 gallon tank, or only changing part of the water, really isn't enough. At minimum you should be doing partial water changes every other day and a 100% water change once a week. If you only change part of the water, you'll never really get rid of that ammonia, that is why the 100% water changes are so important. Fresh water is key to fish health.

You're first post sounded like you might not add water conditioner to your water on a regular basis? If this is the case, you must add water condition (that rids the water of chlorine and chloramines) to any fresh water. I find it easiest to fill a 1 gallon jug of water and add the conditioner to that so I use proper proportions. I then have it sitting there waiting for me to use, and it's easy to make more.

About using the salt everyday. Some studies have shown that prolong use of salt (such as when fish isn't sick) can damage their labyrinth organ. This is still highly debated, but why risk it?

Overall, I would increase your 100% water changes until he starts to turn around. Make sure you use the water condition with each new batch of water.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #14 
Smokehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilbetta View Post
I don't understand your need to be rude. I bought the salt as an additive and because I know many people who use aquarium salt even when their fish aren't sick. I personally am new to having bettas so it bought it to try it out. aNd i know how to keep the tank clean this is the first time its been cloudy I only wanted to know why.
Rude? It sounded like Tom was just giving you some advice and I personally agree with his WC schedule over yours.

As posted above you are a tad sensitive. You know this is a betta forum right?
Smokehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #15 
Capricorn

On a side note, when I read Tom's post it didn't come across as rude.. >.> He was offering you advice on not listening to pet store employees about things like water. Which is correct.. like Moe said, AQ salt is usually for sick fish and only for a short period of time. Now that you know that you can adjust your water, it's good that you've said something so we can offer advice.

I personally change my 2gal every other day to avoid having problems.. some fish are more sensitive than others to ammonia. If he seems fine after two or three days then by all means, do what you think you need.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #16 
evilbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoePaac View Post
Sensitive are we?

As has been said, you really should be increasing your water changes. Changing the water once a week in a 1 gallon tank, or only changing part of the water, really isn't enough. At minimum you should be doing partial water changes every other day and a 100% water change once a week. If you only change part of the water, you'll never really get rid of that ammonia, that is why the 100% water changes are so important. Fresh water is key to fish health.

You're first post sounded like you might not add water conditioner to your water on a regular basis? If this is the case, you must add water condition (that rids the water of chlorine and chloramines) to any fresh water. I find it easiest to fill a 1 gallon jug of water and add the conditioner to that so I use proper proportions. I then have it sitting there waiting for me to use, and it's easy to make more.

About using the salt everyday. Some studies have shown that prolong use of salt (such as when fish isn't sick) can damage their labyrinth organ. This is still highly debated, but why risk it?

Overall, I would increase your 100% water changes until he starts to turn around. Make sure you use the water condition with each new batch of water.
No, but you should be like that to everyone because no one thinks the same.

I do full water changes every week and partial ones every 2 days because my fish doesn't like the water movement and freaks outs. I do add water conditioner to any water added and let it sit for a hour or two because I get those bubbles in the water now. I don't use salt everyday either only once a week and its about 1/4 tsp.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #17 
Alex09

Unless the fish is sick don't use aquarium salt. There's a reason why they are called FRESHWATER fish.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Long term aquarium salt in wrong doses can cause resistant issues with pathogens/parasite and when you need to treat it is useless

Long term salt in some species can also cause kidney damage/system failure and you will see bloat issues for no reason

The number one reason you see/have sick fish is related to water quality

Freshwater fish thrive in fresh water

What is worse-stress from a water change or stress and then health issues related to poor water quality

In 1gal unfiltered containers I would make twice weekly water changes-1-50% and 1-100% to maintain water quality-provided that any uneaten food is removed after feeding
Make sure and add proper amount of dechlorinator that covers-chlorine, chloramines, heavy metal to any new water added to the fish if on city water supply and try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water to prevent temp related problems

Often, once the fish get used to water changes when done correctly- they will look forward to the fresh water and water changes

Would love to see some pic of your new wet-pets and setup...also....Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...its an awesome hobby......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #19 
1fish2fish

Also, what do you mean by "betta tank".. if its one of those 1/2 gallon pre-fab things you need to be doing daily water changes on that as well.

In the 1 gallon tank I advise at least two 100% changes a week, preferably more. It might stress your betta out at first but eventually it will get used to it.

As far as the java fern if it is turning brown it might not have enough nutrients.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #20 
evilbetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Also, what do you mean by "betta tank".. if its one of those 1/2 gallon pre-fab things you need to be doing daily water changes on that as well.

In the 1 gallon tank I advise at least two 100% changes a week, preferably more. It might stress your betta out at first but eventually it will get used to it.

As far as the java fern if it is turning brown it might not have enough nutrients.
It was only of those cheap tanks that are titybity. I'm looking for a different one right now the only problem is no one wants to house my bettas....(whole family thinks I've lost it ) so i'm looking but don't know what to buy. thanks though.

@oldfishlady - thanks I'll work on it. right now they don't like cameras

Tags
cloudy, java fern, water conditioners