Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #21 
DazzleKitty

One more question if you don't mind.

I heard with a filtered tank like this it's good to go a 50% water change twice a week. Would it be okay to use a drinking cup to dip in the water until it's halfway down and then put in new water? I didn't know if there was a special way you have to do it.

Sorry if this has already been answered, but they have tank vacuums, right? For vacuuming the rocks on the bottom?
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #22 
TaylorW

My betta's been alone for months, and he's happy as a clam! :) The only company a betta needs is you, my betta watches me all the time follows me around :) If you really want a tank mate, you can try snails or shrimp in your fish tank.

Petsmart should take the fish back, I've heard of other people taking back fish on this site and getting their money back.

Have you got the Nitrogen Cycle going in your tank or do you just have a filter in there? Without setting up the nitrogen cycle, the filter will not keep the water clean. Fish don't urinate like people do, the excrete ammonia through their gills when they breath. You can't see the ammonia and you can only smell it when it has reached toxic levels in the tank.

Here's a guide to setting up the nitrogen cycle if you haven't done this already.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

You can use the drinking cup to get out the water if your tank is cycled, no special way to do it! :) And they do have tank vacuums, You can use it to suck poo out of the gravel in your filtered tank.

If you haven't set up the nitrogen cycle, you will need to do 100% water changes every 2-3 days manually to keep your fish happy and healthy! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #23 
DazzleKitty

TaylorW, you have been a HUGE help! I'm gonna take back the Mickey Mouse fish today. The poor thing has been bulled by my betta anyways and would be better of that way.

I am gonna look into the nitrogen cycle too.

THANKS AGAIN!
DazzleKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #24 
TaylorW

No problem, good luck with your fishy! :D
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote