Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #1 
MrVampire181

Tips:

Here's just some tips for getting your fish to spawn and grow, feel free to add more if you want :)

Getting a spawn:

Condition your fish! I cannot stress this enough. It's very rare to get two fish that aren't conditioned to spawn without damage to the other. When two fish are conditioned the breeding instinct takes over the fighting instinct.

IAL: Indian Almond Leaves are natural in a bettas habitat. They release tannins and make bettas feel more comfortable. Unfortunately they make the water a brownish yellow color. You can add the leaves or the extract (I use Nutrafin Betta Plus which contains the extract, but the real leaves are preferred). The leaves may also be the nest anchor.

Introduce your male first. I've never done this before but it makes sense. Usually the male will build a nest when he's introduced into the tank. Continue to condition the female until he's built a good size nest. Then add her to the tank. This recreates a more wild enviorment where a male has a territory and a receptive female suddenly appears and then spawning occurs shortly afterwards.

*Warning* Some males are very territorial and may injure or kill the female with this method. Remember to monitor your pairs carefully.

Raising fry:

Use live plants in your spawning tank to insure the smallest fry have something to eat. Live plants produce infusoria, a very good first food for fry.

Feed a varied diet: I wish I was better at this but with my next spawn I will be. Microworms, infusoria, vinegar eels and baby brine shrimp should all be fed during the first week. Since none of these foods are nutrionally complete it's best to feed many foods to make up for one dosen't have.

*Don't overfeed microworms!! They have been linked to missing ventrals.

Use an airstone: It's much easier to do a water change when you don't have to worry about sucking up little fry. Simply siphon about a gallon of gunk out and then replace the airstone to remove the remainder of the water.

Do large water changes: Fry excrete a hormone that stunts the growth of their siblings. Doing large water changes and providing large growout space will give you healthier fry and less hormone to worry about.

Last but most definately not least: DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!! I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Very good info! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #3 
beat2020

Mr.V pretty much covered most of it but,a few more tips. :)

Start with the best pair you can afford! Buy from a breeder either locally or online. This will help you so much in the long run. It will be MUCH easier rehoming "quality" fry.

Keep the bottom of those tanks clean! Dirty bottoms = Bacteria which could = missing ventral fins.

Run an airstone an hour or two in your spawning tank before you add a pair. The air stone gets rid of those water bubbles that show up after a water change.

Also good nesting sites: Bubble wrap,plastic lids,IAL,and styrofoam cups cut in half, styrofoam plates.(Cut a piece of the plate and float it in the tank.)

Last edited by beat2020; 11-11-2010 at 08:05 PM.
beat2020 is offline   Reply With Quote