Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

The most stress free way to do a water change!

Hi guys!
I know this topic has been covered so many time's but I'm still worried, my small baby Tex recently get's incredibly stressed during water changes ( pale and a big black stress bar running through him) and he looks really fragile (as he could drop dead any minute).

So how can I make water changes as stress free as possible for him?

Thankx
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #2 
ashleyy

This is what I do.

I have a 3 gallon tank, so I fill 2, one gallon jugs with tap water and let them sit for at least 24 hours.

I make sure I have everything ready before beginning the water change so he isn't in his holding cup too long.

I wait for him to swim to the top and I scoop him out of the tank with a cup and put on the lid (it is actually a small tuppe-ware container that I poked holes in the lid of) I used to scoop him out with a net but that was way too stressful for him.

When I had gravel(I keep my tank bare bottom now) I dumped it in a metal strainer and rinsed it lightly and then rinsed his plants lightly too. I place everything back in and start pouring in the new water.

After I pour in 2 gallons of water that I had sitting, I then use a 1 liter measuring cup and add hot water from my tap to fill my tank and raise the temperature of the water to what it was before I emptied it. You will have to play with this to know how much warm water is needed to match the temperature.

I add water conditioner and then pour him back into the tank.

While he is in his holding tank he turns pale and gets agitated but as soon as I put him back in he acts like nothing happened :]

Hope this helps
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Great technique Ashleyy...just want to add that after a while they usually will get used to the water changes and look forward to the fresh clean dechlorinated water as well as the interaction with you...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:06 AM   #4 
FishyFriend1

If your tank is big enough try a gravel siphon
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote