Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #391 
emeltee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Water test just like the pH test

I would do a pH test on your source water first.....it take 24h to get an accurate pH test
Draw a clean glass of your source water-do a pH test and write it down and if you can add an airstone- and wait 24h and re-test the pH and compare the two readings and then do a pH test on your tank and compare these numbers-this will tell you if something in your tank is causing your pH to drop-
I don't have an airstone. But I will try this.
emeltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #392 
Panthera

I bought a new filter and it was WAY too strong for Adamu. I read up on how to baffle it, and decided to use a sock. ITs totally new, but I was just wondering is it safe for him? It really works great, and I'd probably only be using it a day or two until I can go to the pet store and get an aquarium sponge.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #393 
JKfish

The area I'm in is under a water boiling watch because a main pipe for sewage broke. I need to top off a tank. Is adding cooled down boiled water alright, or should I be super safe and use bottled water for the time being?
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #394 
bettafish15

Personally I'd use the bottled, but thats me being paranoid :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #395 
Panthera

What does bubble eating mean? I just put my new CT Polaris in his Critter Keeper and he won't stop eating the bubbles on the sides of the tank. I gave him 2 pellets and he gobbled them up, but what does this mean? Thanks!
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #396 
MissMoneyPenny

I bought some aquarium salt for Mr. Fishy's tank as his tale was either snagged or bit, is this right for the healing process? Should I do a 100% water change first? How much aquarium salt should I put in a 5 gallon tank?
MissMoneyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #397 
MissMoneyPenny

*bump for my question above*
MissMoneyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #398 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoneyPenny View Post
I bought some aquarium salt for Mr. Fishy's tank as his tale was either snagged or bit, is this right for the healing process? Should I do a 100% water change first? How much aquarium salt should I put in a 5 gallon tank?
For treatment it is best to QT in a smaller container-this make the 100% daily water changes easier especially with salt treatment-the dosage I use for aquarium salt is 1tsp/gal...it is important to use the correct amount when treating to avoid any resistant issues and only use salt for 10 days

I like to pre-mix my salt 1tsp/gal in a clean 1gal jug-this help make correct dosage and water changes easier too-also if you have either IAL or dried oak leaf to add this can also be helpful with healing-I add them to my pre-mix jug too so they can steep to make the water a nice amber color

Nutrition is also important for the healing process a good high protein diet can help
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #399 
Canuck Fins

Okay, I'm going to set up my first tank today and am trying to start a cycle with a shrimp. I have a test kit; should I be testing the water today to have a starting point, like to know what the pH in my water is or do I wait until tomorrow and do my first test then? :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #400 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Fins View Post
Okay, I'm going to set up my first tank today and am trying to start a cycle with a shrimp. I have a test kit; should I be testing the water today to have a starting point, like to know what the pH in my water is or do I wait until tomorrow and do my first test then? :)
I would do a test to get a base line on your source water-remember that your pH from the tap will be different once the water has gassed out in 24h-this is also good to know so you will know if anything in the tank is causing pH changes...what kind of testing products are you using?

How big is your tank, what kind of filter and any live plants?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote