Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #1 
Waterbottle2

Humane Euthanization

Let me first say I take these things very seriously. I'm a vegetarian and would never hurt an animal. However one of my older bettas fins aren't moving and hes stuck at the bottom. H can barely move his head or anything. He's been this way for about 12 hours. How do i humanely euthanize him? I'm not even sure how hes been getting air. I netted him a few times (was actaully tough cause he doesn't move at all) and brought him up to the surface hoping he'd get air.

Thanks
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #2 
Waterbottle2

or if anyone has any other suggestions please help. I know the difference between a sleeping/resting fish and a dying one. This guy has been on the bottom for hours not even moving his lil fins hasn't really changed spots please help asap
Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

One method is an overdose of clove oil that you can get at a pharmacy or the freezer method-I like to drop them in ice cold water first to shock them and then place in the freezer-it is faster IMO/E when you don't have clove oil on hand.

Have you tried any treatments?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #4 
JKfish

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...nize-fish-698/

if you decide to freeze, you have to make sure your fish is really dead because bettas technically can be frozen pretty much solid and once thawed they can come 'back' to life.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #5 
Waterbottle2

Well I',m pretty sure he just passed on RIP :(
Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

I'm sorry he's passed, it's terrible losing a fish, especially when you've had to contemplate euthanasia. It's one of the downsides of being responsible for their lives, you also sometimes have to be responsible for their deaths.

I've had to euthanize several of my fish when they were in obvious distress. I simply scoop the fish out into a container, pour most of the water out and then wrap the fish up in a damp cloth or old tee-shirt. Then I would just locate the head and deliver one very strong blow with something like a shovel. It sounds horrible but it is one of the quickest and humane ways to kill a fish if done correctly, since it crushes the brain and it's an instant death.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #7 
Waterbottle2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I'm sorry he's passed, it's terrible losing a fish, especially when you've had to contemplate euthanasia. It's one of the downsides of being responsible for their lives, you also sometimes have to be responsible for their deaths.

I've had to euthanize several of my fish when they were in obvious distress. I simply scoop the fish out into a container, pour most of the water out and then wrap the fish up in a damp cloth or old tee-shirt. Then I would just locate the head and deliver one very strong blow with something like a shovel. It sounds horrible but it is one of the quickest and humane ways to kill a fish if done correctly, since it crushes the brain and it's an instant death.
I see I'd probably have to have someone else do that I wouldn't be able to stomache it. It does sound humane though because they probably dont feel it before they pass.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #8 
Waterbottle2

also thanks everyone for the advice
Old 11-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I'm sorry you lost your fish :(
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #10 
dramaqueen