Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #1 
ParisRose

SBD? Constipation? Parasite?

Alright. So after a very hectic saturday afternoon I came home and realized that Napoleon was hiding. When I looked in his cup he wasn't there and I got worried. I found him on his side looking dead behind the filter. He's in a 10 gallon tank all alone. No sharp objects Just silk flowers and a ceramic cup. Has a heater (refer to my post in Habitats) I unplugged everything and took out the filter. He's alive but on his side and is bloated. He has difficulty swimming and floats to the top. I put some aquarium salt and stress coat in. What else can I do. I don't know how this happened? I feed him 1 pellet a day.
ParisRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems.....a few questions

In the 10g filtered heated tank-what is the water temp, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, how much and what kind of additives used-how long have you had him in this set up and has he ever been sick or treated?

Can you post a pic?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #3 
ParisRose

The temp was 78-80 when I got home. I put 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt in. and about 10 drops of stress coat. I haven't had to do a water change yet. He's only been in this tank for almost a week. I planned on doing 1 gallon water changes once a week. I'm loading pics now.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like you may be cycling the tank with the fish...correct? if so you need to be doing at least twice weekly 50% water changes unless you have water testing products to monitor the levels

At this point I would QT him in a small container and start 100% daily water changes and Epsom salt 1tsp/gal (not aquarium salt) for 10 days-this is for his symptom of bloat and swimming problems-hold all food for now and cover the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap to help keep the air above the water warm and humid-maintain the water temp at 76-78F-you can float him in the 10g to maintain the heat but be sure and attach the container so it doesn't sink by accident.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #5 
ParisRose

There's a birds eye view.

This is the best shot of him on his side that I could get

Old 11-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #6 
ParisRose

I don't want to isolate him from his tank because he's the only one it it. The tank isn't cycled but I was told that since he is just one fish in such a big tank it wouldn't be a big problem. Can anyone offer any advice on how to do water changes and keep the temp steady? I don't have a bucket. I usually make all my water changes by a gallon ice cream bucket. Anything I should get for him? Aside from the water tested?