Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #11 
celine18

is there a difference between marimo balls and moss balls? cause i bought a marimo moss ball from petsmart a week or so ago, now i'm confused, haha.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:14 PM   #12 
Chopstick Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by celine18 View Post
is there a difference between marimo balls and moss balls? cause i bought a marimo moss ball from petsmart a week or so ago, now i'm confused, haha.
Some people call them moss balls, and it makes things really confusing when you are trying to locate real marimo because there are also things called "moss balls' which are just moss sheets wrapped around a cork or other object to make them look like marimo. Most people assume marimo are made of moss and so call them mos balls, when in actuallity they are a species of algea called Cladophora, not a moss at all. A lot of times what you get at petsmart, if it is advertised as a "moss ball", is these Jave moss balls, not marimo. Marimo means "algea ball" in Japanese.

If you squeeze a marimo is should be soft and spongy like...well, like a sponge and water and crud will come out. After you squeeze one out and put it back in the tank it will float for a while and then sink to the bottom of the tank. If you squeeze these "moss balls" that you buy at petsmart, unless they are mislabeled marimo (which I have never seen at a petsmart in Canada), then you would feel the round thing inside it and probably wouldn't be able to squeeze it much, if at all and the moss might break off. Also the moss balls you buy at petsmart always float, or require weights and fishingline to keep them at the bottom of the tank. Marimo, if you bought them at petsmart, would be purchased off the bottom of the tank, not floating around at the top because they really only float when they have too much oxygen inside them from photosynthesis, (you often see it leak out and collect like dew drops on the surface of the marimo before the floating takes place, this is called "pearling".) but most of the time they stay sunken at the bottom of the tank.

Which one sounds more like the one you bought? I hope you didn't get swindled into paying a lot of money for a moss ball when you thought it was a marimo. I have heard that some petsmarts and petcos charge 10 dollars for a single moss ball! This is rape, considering the 3 marimo I bought on ebay cost me 10 dollars US total, and that included shipping. The marimo themselves were only about 1.20 each and they are good sized ones too 3-5cm. The bigger marimo are very old, since they only grow an average of 5 millimeters a year and get more expensive as the bigger and older they get. Moss balls do not grow in this way, the java moss just get's longer.

Last edited by Chopstick Chick; 11-01-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Chopstick Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #13 
celine18

i have a legit marimo!!!! yaaaayyyyy!!!! haha mines squishy and sinks. also, it was super expensive ($7!!) but i needed it to keep ammonia levels down in my boys temp home until his tank ever decides to cooperate and finish cycling...siiigh.

i think i might have to look on ebay for future marimo purchases, thanks for that tip :)
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #14 
Jupiter

They are really great! I'd been looking high and low for one since I can't buy online, and a petstore at the mall recently started carrying them. They are so cute! My betta could care less about it, though.

It really does pick up a lot of junk, though. I was squeezing it out in the sink and a whole bunch of crud came out and discoloured the water.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #15 
Chopstick Chick

Just an update my Marimo came!
Here are some pics of them all happy in their new home.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #16 
chavist93

Nice, I got one from Petsmart a couple days ago for my community tank. They have them for 7.99.
chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 PM   #17 
ilovebunnies

Those are some chic green balls! ;)
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #18 
dukie1346

They are so furry :D
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #19 
Chopstick Chick

You'd think they would be slimy since they are algea balls, but they actually feel quite rough to the touch.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #20 
Waterbottle2

dont feel embarassed lol. i LOVE the marimo balls and so do my fish! I really hope you enjoy them!
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon tank, betta, marimo, not moss balls, shrimp