Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2010, 04:18 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

How Soon Should I See Ammonia?

I've never done the whole ammonia testing thing before. I used to have my bettas in a one gallon tank each and I changed their water every two weeks (terrible...I know...I know better now.)

Well I just got a ten gallon tank and divided it in three. It houses three bettas and two ADF's. I bought an ammonia meter at Petsmart that you attach to the tank and it turns colors according to the levels of ammonia in the water. It says its good for up to a year.

How long should I wait to see if it's going to work before I do a water change?

How often and how much water should I change and how often should I clean the gravel and plants?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a 10gal tank divided with 3 Bettas-filtered and heated-moderate feeding-it can take about 3 days for the ammonia to show up, however, with live active growing plants this can vary as the plants use the ammonia for plant food....what kind and how many plants....

Regardless of ammonia readings or not-you have other things in the tank that are not tested for that can be problematic to fish health like DOC's (dissolved organic) than need to be removed with regular weekly water changes

I would recommend- weekly 50% water changes with substrate vacuuming in all areas that can be reached without moving anything in the tank or disruption of plant roots to maintain water quality.

Filter media needs a rinse/swish in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month and when the water flow slows to maintain good water flow.

Look forward to seeing some pics of the new 10g....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #3 
danifacetastic

I don't have any live plants in the tank. They're all plastic and silk. The plastic ones passed the pantyhose test. So how often should I move all the plants?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #4 
danifacetastic

And whats the easiest way to get pictures on here? XD
Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would move things and vacuum under decorations, fake plants etc.....every couple of months or so...more or less.... once the nitrogen cycle is completed...what kind of filtration are you using?
With new set-ups you often will get diatoms or brown algae on the walls and decoration-they should be easy to wipe off and vacuum out with the weekly water changes and usually will resolve on their own once the tank mature-the brown algae can also be cause from old light bulbs that can be fixed by replacing the bulb-also use of IAL, oak leaf, blackwater extract type products due to the tannins-these can stain the glass/acrylic tanks as well as decoration but are harmless in general

As far as pics-since I am a bit computer challenged...hopefully someone else can help you with that...I think you have to have a host like photobucket...but not 100% sure on that....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #6 
danifacetastic

I'm using one of the filters that hangs on the back of the tank. It's like a Marineland 5-15 gallon filter.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #7 
chavist93

I tried one of those ammonia meters when I was cycling one of my tanks. It was still in the safe zone when my test kit showed .50 ppm. I wouldn't trust the meter at all.
chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #8 
CrankyFish84

My Ammonia Detector hang on thing also wasn't the same as my test tube kit.
The manufacturer says it takes longer than a kit to register ammonia levels,
so they do work, just take longer to show up. :)

My first tank, a 3G, showed toxic ammonia after only 3 days with fish food to cycle it.
So it does rise faster than most think, especially if your filter is new, or has been compromised.
Good bacteria on it is killed by sudden water temp changes, or washing out in chlorinated tap water.
So always wash the filter when it gets super dirty in only OLD TANK water! :)
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote