Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #1 
eclover09

Fish cant keep down??

Here is a previous post I put up today: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=55780 but now there seems to be a new issue.

Yesterday he was resting at both the middle/bottom of the tank and the top of the tank and he was resting at the bottom of the tank this morning as well. I just came home and went over to check on him, and he actually swimmed around a bit...but I watched him a few times as he swam down to the bottom of the tank with all his might, only to float straight back up again against his will. He did this a few times until he seemed to give up and just floated at the top. I know I've read about this before, but I can't remember what it is. Any help?
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #2 
baylee767

Some kind of swim Bladder problem I'd guess, but I know almost nothing on fish diseases (I'm a newbie) So you can't really trust what I say lol
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:48 AM   #3 
Waterbottle2

sounds like a swim bladder problem. One of mine had it it could either be from bloating or he was born with it or from the pet store. Could you give anymore info? if he was born with it theres not much you can do but it really doesn't hurt em to my knowledge anyway. You might wanna put floating plants at the top for him =)
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would do some 100% water changes and get the aquarium salt out and then use Epsom salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes with the Epsom salt water for 10 days-you also may want to cover the top with a plastic veggie wrap or something to help keep the air above the water warm and humid

The Epsom salt can help with the buoyancy problems
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #5 
eclover09

Awesome, thanks, I will make sure to get some today when I go to the store. It's so strange though, this morning my mom said when she checked on him he was resting at the bottom no problem, but just a little while ago he was swimming around then kinda went spaztic as he fought to swim down but kept going up o.0 Hopefully the epsom salt will work.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote