Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #1 
FearlessLiter

Help! Color change and other nonsense...

Hi!

I bought my fish, Horatio in September. When I bought him, his fins were about 75% white and now they are about 80% green/blue (whatever color he is). He seems fine otherwise and has been accumulating froth at the surface of his tank, though I confess I poisoned him with nitrogenous wastes lately. You can see the tissue damage in the latest image at the very tip of his dorsal fin. Actually, now that I really examine it, he seems to have more going on... his dorsal is not as tall and his caudal fins are more "feathery"...

He lives in a one gallon filtered tank, heated to 75, fed once a day except Mondays, water change Saturday, got a new filter this past Sunday, and is now on a new regime of 50% water change on Wednesdays and full water change on Saturdays (as of this past Sunday, when I first notice the red spots at the tips of his fins).

Please offer advice!

Thank you!
Attached Images

FearlessLiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #2 
bettablue

well im not an expert so correct me if I'm wrong but he may have a marble gene, it makes them change colors overtime as for the fins it looks like finrot. try cleaning the water more and adding aquarium salt. also a minimum size tank is 2.5 gals, one gal isn't enough
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #3 
Colibri

The red spots at the tips could be fin rot. Try adding some aquarium salt to his water, keep it crystal clean doing 100% water changes daily. As for his color change, butterflies carry a marble gene so they tend to change colors. ! You could read this interesting article:

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...=1114&v=marble

You should also consider to give your little friend a bigger tank. 2.5 gallon is the best minimum amount for a betta to be happy and healthy. It seems you just started the new water changes regimen but for a few months he lived in not the best water conditions. If the fins are curling or looking feathery it is often caused by poor water quality. He has a very nice color!
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Awwe, even if hes changing colors hes still pretty :3 I agree with what was said above. Personally, I'd try to up the water temp a degree or two, but thats me :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #5 
FearlessLiter

Oh, thanks, you guys! Well, that settles it. I'm definitely going to change his water more frequently and invest in a larger tank as soon as I can. Will 1 tsp of aquarium salt/ gallon do the trick?
Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #6 
shinybetta

He is a very pretty fish! Aquarium salt should be good, just make sure to dissolve it in water before putting it in.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

It does look like fin rot-

Since he is in a 1gal tank I would treat him in that by using aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days-you also need to improve his nutrition with high protein diet-small amount 2-3 times a day-I would also increase his water temp to at least 76F and turn the filter off for now
Once treatment is completed and the filter is added I would do twice weekly 50% water changes making sure to clean the substrate with one of the twice weekly water changes...or no filter and 1-50% and 1-100% weekly water changes in the 1gal tank.

You have a lovely Betta by the way.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #8 
FearlessLiter

Thank you! Isn't he lovely? I almost feel guilty keeping him to myself. I got him in Petco, of all places. They had several hansom fish in there in excellent health, but I haven't seen as good of fish in there since... it was pure luck. I'm getting a bigger tank for him this Wed (at least a 2.5 gal, but I'm aiming for 5 if I can). He's also incredibly weird. He flips into his filter and slides out. I caught him on camera doing it. His water had just been changed the day before and I hadn't fed him yet, so I don't know why he did this, but he's had a quirky personality since I got him. He's also very smart! I want to train him... When I get the space and finances, I'm going to research breeding him and see if I can take on that responsibility. I would like to have more like him...
Also, his red tissue damage has already significantly subsided and he's acting weird again (for, him that's good!).

Oldfishlady: Thanks for your advice! He's been in 1tsp/gal aquarium salt, but I'll start changing his water more frequently and get him protein. Why does the filter need to be off? Does it remove the salt?
Just jumped into his filter, only has his head in it:
Name:  HoratioinFilter.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  44.7 KB

Worked his way up the filter, then decided to turn around and jump out:
Name:  HoratioinFilter3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  45.0 KB
Maybe he just wants a diving board...
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes-not always-the filter can be part of the problem with fin damage especially in small tanks-....kinda like a flag in the wind effect.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote