Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #1 
Iziezi

Unhappy Update: Ammonia Burn on Dobby's Fins

(Con't from thread "Does Dobby have Fin Rot??") So Dobby's fins don't look like they've gotten any better. In fact, they look a little bit more raggedy than they did. He's got little points forming on his bottom and tail fins now. But, his pec fins look like they've grown a little bit...

I bought a liquid ammonia testing kit yesterday, the ammonia was about .5ppm in his gallon jar after a 50% water change on Wednesday. Now that I have the test kit, I will test every day to keep his water clean.

On the positive side, Nitrate & Nitrite are still practically zero. I've been testing those every day. Adding the distilled water to the tap water seems to be helping with the hardness, and reducing the PH and alkalinity a little bit too.

I also bought BettaFix (contains Melaleuca) to help his fins heal. The fish store owner said sometimes an infection can look like ammonia burns, but either way it won't hurt Dobby to use the BettaFix.

So I decided yesterday to put Dobby in QT in the small 1/2 gallon jar. I put a pinch of salt in the water, and 9 drops of BettaFix. I will give him 100% fresh water every day for 10 days. I hope his fins start to get better soon.

I also put in the Leaf Hammock and one of the smaller plastic plants that I bought when I first got Dobby.

I figure plastic plants are okay and don't interfere with the water quality or QT? At least this way he won't be so bored. He started glass surfing after just a couple of hours in the QT jar... I'm putting picture books next to the jar for him to look at, not sure it's helping much. But He does seem to like the leaf hammock...

I'm also wondering if it's possible for Dobby to have gotten such extensive ammonia burns in just the few weeks I've had him, or if the burns came from his previous home -- they didn't heat his water, and only changed it once every two weeks.

Thanks again in advance for your advice.

Last edited by Iziezi; 11-21-2010 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Added more info.
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:54 AM   #2 
rumblenbronx

I got the leaf hammock too, and the leaf would NOT stay in the suction cup. hahaha and my betta would sleep under it more then on it.
rumblenbronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #3 
Iziezi

Wow, I guess I got lucky with my Leaf Hammock, then. You're the second person who's said the leaf wouldn't stay in the suction cup. My leaf I had to really push it into the holder, it was a tight squeeze. But it stays in without problems.

Dobby's funny because sometimes he sleeps on the leaf, and sometimes he sleeps on the suction cup.

I can't tell if his fins are getting better or not. His tail fin is looking more and more thin and curled and sad, the burns seem to have gotten a little bit worse, but it seems like he's getting new growth on his "tummy fin". *sigh*
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote