Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #1 
jewledrose

Help!! Poisoning?

I had a betta in a heated 2.5 gallon glass fish tank I had received used. When I got the tank I sanitized the tank with a vinegar solution and tank cleaning solution from petco. After about 2 weeks or so, I noticed the fish had clamped fins and was lethargic, but was otherwise fine. It died appx 26 hours later. I do 50% water changes about every 3 days and a 100% change every week. Thinking nothing of the other fish's death, I scrubbed the tank and sanitized everything. I got a new betta and settled him in.

Now, a week later, he has started to clamp his fins and is very lethargic. I was observing him for a while, and then did a 70% water change and added aquarium salt. When the new water went in, he seemed happy and healthy, before settling back to the bottom. A couple hours later he had not changed positions other than to breathe. I just pulled him out of the tank and into my spare .5gal acrylic unheated tank. I put new gravel in it and dechlorinated the hell out of the water and added aquarium salt. Now, 30 minutes later, he is looking much better and is starting to swim around the small tank.

Is it possible that the previous owners of the 2.5gal tank had used some sort of chemical in it that had leeched into the water? Would chemicals leeching caused such a reaction in the fish? Everything else in the tank was stuff I had boughten brand new from petco. (2 fake plants, aquarium gravel, 2-10gal heater, glass thermometer) If that was not it, what would have caused both fish to deteriorate so quickly? I know it is sad to have the guy in the small unheated tank, but right now it is better than him dying. I turned up the heat in here so the room temp is higher so his water will not get too cold. As soon as I am able to get another tank for him (first thing tomorrow) I will get him in a better setup.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to help him? Should I do 100% changes every couple hours so he has nice clean water? Or is there anything else I can give him? I don't want this guy to die too.... Any advice would be amazing. Thank you in advance.
jewledrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #2 
Malvolti

My first thought is the vinegar or cleaning solution may be partially responsible but I don't know why it would take a week to affect him. Plastics have been know to absorb chemicals but not glass.

Since it's happened twice in a row in the same tank I'd be afraid to keep using it. For now keep him in the .5 gal (maybe look into getting a 1 gal as a hospital tank) and focus on getting your boy healthy.

You should probably also test your water, it may be something in the water that is harming them.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:50 PM   #3 
jewledrose

My water is fairly normal - I use dechlorinated tap water in all of my tanks and it has not affected any of my other fish (I have a 20g, 5.5g, and another 2.5g). I will definitely be getting him a new tank tomorrow to get him out of the .5gal.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #4 
Malvolti

I'm at a loss. Maybe someone with more experience can offer some better suggestions.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

The vinegar shouldn't hurt. I feed vinegar eels to my fry and a small concentration always gets into the tank but dosen't affect them.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #6 
jewledrose

Update: betta appears to be doing a bit better - I just did another complete water change and again dechlorinated the hell out of the water and added some aquarium salt. He is still kinda chilling out at the bottom of the tank, but his fins are starting to unfurl and he has started swimming around a bit. I hope he will pull through this - I don't want to lose him. =( With two strikes against the 2.5g tank, it is going away.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #7 
jewledrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malvolti View Post
My first thought is the vinegar or cleaning solution may be partially responsible but I don't know why it would take a week to affect him. Plastics have been know to absorb chemicals but not glass.

Since it's happened twice in a row in the same tank I'd be afraid to keep using it. For now keep him in the .5 gal (maybe look into getting a 1 gal as a hospital tank) and focus on getting your boy healthy.

You should probably also test your water, it may be something in the water that is harming them.

Would the aquarium silicone in the glass tank absorb the chemicals and then leech it? I am at a loss of what caused the fish to deteriorate... I am not taking any more chances with the tank though!

Tags
fish, ouch, poison?, sick