Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #1 
BETTACHKALOVE

Please help

Hi,every one. I am confused with one of my betta. I want to tell what I did and what I want to do. If u can tell me ur opinion

I bought him 04/09 he never get sick before. So he is about 2 year old.

He is in 2.5 gall.Tge temperature 78*. I change water 50% every 2 days.

About 2 mo ago he got some white stuff on his tail and gills. I thought he might have FIN ROT .I know it not COLUMNARIS .I treated him with TETRACYCLINE which helped me before with other fish. His body cleared but he got it again in a wk. I treated again with TETRACYCLINE ,but it didnít help 2nd time.
I decided he has fungus so I treated him with FUNGUS CURE BY API. His body completely cleared from fungus. But in one wk he got it again. So now I treating him again with FUNGUS CURE. Only because it helped 1st time.

I want to try ICK AWAY . I read one of the post on the forum. Someone say it helped their betta treat for fungus.

I afraid to overdose him.

Bettaís behavior didnít changed at all ,he eats and he is very active,and he build his bubble nest all the time.

Should I give him salt bath or some one on the forum used EPSON SALT. I never did it before. Is it going to help?

Please help. I will finish FUNGUS CURE ,but I get very nervous what if he will get it again?

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #2 
Malvolti

I'll give it a shot to answer this.

1) Alway continue treatments as directed on the container, just because the visible stuff went away it doesn't mean the fish is better and if you stop as soon as the white fuzz goes away he will get sick again.

2) After you are compltely done treating the fish and he is doing well do a FULL water change, if you don't the disease will stay in the tank and he will get sick again. But this time the disease will be resistant to what you used the last time.

3) Clean the decorations in hot water after treatment. Same reason as doing the water change.

Using 1 teaspoon of Aquarium salt (Not table salt which is bad for fish) per gallon during a treatment can help clear up the disease, along with doing daily water changes.

Ick away is generally made for ick but can work on other things. If nothing else is working it is worth a try but be careful, many medications can't be used at the same time so you will have to stop using one before you can start another.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #3 
BETTACHKALOVE

Thank u. I had half of teaspoon aquarium salt before but i put more like Malvolti say.

I gave betta dose of med. yesterday. The instructions say 1dose then repeat dose after 48 hrs. Then wait another 48 hrs then change 25% of the water and add filter. But at the end of instructions they say : TWO DOSES REQUIRED FOR COURSE OF TREATMENT.

Please help me i confused. I gave him 2 nd dose yesterdy. And medications working because he has less white stuff on his tail. But i don't know should i wait another 48 hrs and change 100% water or just 25% like they say.

And i don't know how add 2nd course. Is it after 25% change or after 100%.

Please help
Old 11-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #4 
Malvolti

First off, you should actually be doing 50% water changes every day in a 2.5 gallon tank while you are treating the fish.

The course of treatment should be:

Day1: Remove the filter, Change 50% water then add medicine dose 1 and 2.5 teaspoons of aquarium salt.
Day 2: Change 50% water and 1.5 teaspoons of Aquarium salt.
Day 3: Change 50% water and add medicine dose 2 and 1.5 teaspoons of Aquarium salt
Day 4: Change 50% water and 1.5 teaspoons of Aquarium salt.
Day 5: Change 100% water and clean decorations. Put filter back into tank.

You can keep adding aquarium salt (1 teaspoon per gallon) every time you change the water after that but you should not use the salt for more than 10 days total. You should also keep changing at least 50% of the water daily for another week after day 5.

Last edited by Malvolti; 11-23-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #5 
BETTACHKALOVE

Thank u . I'll do it.