Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #1 
itslisa75

White Whispy Stuff

My Betta, Buddy, is recovering from popeye, lethargia, bloated underbelly. I do believe he has "lost" his one eye. He is finally eating and swimming. Not fully better but improving. He was , is being treated with Maracyn Two and will continue until Sunday.. Have kept up the water changes and water was tested and was in healty parameters.

Now, I woke up and he had a strand of white whisy stuff floating from the top of his head. It is no where else in the tank.

Does anyone know what this could be? Thank you.
itslisa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Firstly, sorry about your betta, it sounds like he's been in the wars. Hope he continues to improve.

The white whispy thing could be something fungal, or this happened to one of my females after I was forced to net her one day, it could be his slime coat shedding.

When it happened to my female, it looked like long hairs coming off her (in my instance it was her fins) and when I caught them with tweezers they just came off. Eventually, it stopped shedding, and she didn't seem any worse for the wear (was still very active at feeding time, swimming about normally etc.)

Since you're already medicating him, I wouldn't want to add anything until you're certain of what it is, and if it is harmful or not. It could stress his immune system and impede his recovery.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #3 
IshFish

My betta had the same thing on him. A strand hanging off him...like he was shedding. It didn't look like a fungus at all..and it came off right after a water change (treated with epsom salt) so I think he was just "detoxing." But, I'm certainly no expert so I could be totally wrong. Anyways, I took it off that day and that was that. I haven't seen anything else appear.
IshFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #4 
bettabreeder123
Banned

never heard of an LOST eye. i feel sad.
bettabreeder123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #5 
itslisa75

Well what I mean is I think the popeye might have left him blind in that eye. Now I have to tell you I caught it right away. I would never just let it go. It just seems that when I feed him he only goes after the food if I drop it on the side with the unaffected eye.

Maybe it will change I hope so he's such a beauty either way. I think I need to handle him more delicately than my last one. Again, not that I am rough but he seems more sensitive. Make sense?

I did go out and get a heater for him tonight. I will stop with the Maracyn on Saturday. I just hope he keeps on.

Thank you all for your help.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #6 
itslisa75

By the way. I feed Buddy pellet food. Is there a better kind of food and how often should I be feeding him? There is conflicting info on feeding.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I had some wispy stuff on the pectoral fins of some fish, killed one guy but didn't do anything to the others. I just remove it with my fish only turkey baster.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote