Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2010, 12:40 PM   #11 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
She's not stubborn, but very sensitive and very lazy. Haha.
I was referring to the jaw dropping gorgeous Gypsy Vanners. XD Someone had told me that they were common in Ireland. Pfft. I'm going to kick that girls but one of these days. I would love to own one, but they are ridiculously expensive here in the US.
your lucky so my mum grew up with haflingers in austria and they were 99% all stubborn and slightly devious.

well if you know where to look you might find a breeder or 2 that has some nice heavy hairy vanners but you dont see these horses on the fields im afraid... the romantic image of ireland in various aspects are extremely exaggerated...
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #12 
Drift

LikeDiscoSuperfly- Really? He's an Appaloosa and they're a very popular breed in the US. Their coat comes in several pattern types. You should look them up. They're really gorgeous. All the ones I've met so far are pranksters. XD

Neelie- She's bucked several people off, but that's because the saddle didn't fit right and the girth was pinching her. She was bought all new stuff, and now she's great. Other than being lazy. However she can move pretty fast if she wants.
I would love to visit Ireland some day though, I think it looks beautiful. Even if my hopes and dreams of seeing Vanner's everywhere has been crushed. XD
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #13 
Learn To Fly

Okay...get ready for a lot of text and pics lol.

I started riding about 6 1/2 years ago and it's the most fun thing I've ever done. It's what I look forward to every week and every day, until I can get out there and be around the horses. I think I'm literally a horse addict lol, because I live, dream and whatever else horses. Sometimes I randomly smell horses when there are none within 20 miles

I ride english-mostly eventing and some dressage, and I'm working on a bit of natural horsemanship because eventually I want to be able to ride without a bridle like Stacy Westfall. I ride bareback a lot because it's awesome (lol) and ride a horse named Louie, a 21 or 24 y/o Spanish Barb who thinks he's about 11 or so (seriously, I told him he was an old man and he head-butted me lol). He's hard to ride only because he has his "I wanna GALLOP" moments, and he gallops faster than a lot of Thoroughbreds. My instructor says he's the fastest horse she's ever had, and she's had TBs and currently has her "Rolex horse" who's sire is Charismatic (1999 KY Derby winner). But we're a team, and we have frustrations and disagreements but we're really a pretty perfect match. He's not mine, BTW, he's my instructors...the first horse she ever had. I could go on and on about Louie, so I won't...but one last thing ;) ...His show name is King Louis, but next show it's going to be Sir Crazyhorse :P

This is him. Excuse my hands, they're much too low...
Name:  Copy of 057-L4157 Ofest Oct 2010.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  102.4 KB

Get this bit offa me...grr
Name:  Copy of BNS4-V6614 Ofest Oct 2010.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  104.4 KB

C'mon, please?
Name:  Copy of BNS4-V6615 Ofest Oct 2010.jpg
Size:  108.1 KB

Fine then...
Name:  Copy of BNX5-L6838 Ofest Oct 2010.jpg
Size:  73.0 KB

Uhhgg...
Name:  Copy of BNX5-L6843 Ofest Oct 2010.jpg
Size:  64.4 KB

Ahhh...the lovely hackamore!
Name:  Copy of DMP_0253.jpg
Size:  106.2 KB

"I'm tired!!" (Look at his pitiful "long" mane...)
Name:  Copy of 102_6062.jpg
Size:  66.0 KB

Beautiful dutch running braid...this is what we do for dressage at shows
Name:  Copy of 102_5946.jpg
Size:  103.2 KB

Now I have to show you my baby Traveler. He's the horse that made me the rider I am today. He's also just a special horse, in more ways than one lol. His b-day is exactly 366 days before mine (he's a year and a day older than me) and no one else likes him (poor buddy). His mom was a lesson horse at the farm and his dad is unknown (probably an AQH). When he got weaned, he tried (twice) to jump the fence to get to her so he's go a very large dent in his shoulder now. This is him, my grouchy tough-guy golden boy...

Name:  Copy of 102_5811.jpg
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  Copy of 102_5817.jpg
Size:  121.6 KB

Grumpy butt!
Name:  Copy of 102_5949.jpg
Size:  87.8 KB

(and BTW, riding him bareback is like riding a furry couch lol...very comfy!)

Sorry for the pic and text overload!
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #14 
Learn To Fly

Forgot a pic and it won't let me add it, sorry for the double post...

The little Appy lesson horse, Rocky.
Name:  Copy of 102_5951.jpg
Size:  119.5 KB
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #15 
celine18

Quote:
All the ones I've met so far are pranksters. XD
so true!!! one broke my big toe one time! when i took my boot off after the lesson it was the size of a golf ball....

omg all these horses are so beautiful! so, i rode for 5 years or so, but i stopped about 3 years ago cause my stable i was at came under new management and they were letting anyone ride any horse, and the quality went waaaayy down...

i really miss it tho, but since i'm going to college next year, it's hard to get back in it, sadly. now! ona brighter note! heres one of my favorites from back in the day, that i actually have a pic of! this is crazy katie (trust me, they don't come more psycho than her...but i loved her! she was so much fun) i remember the time we were in the ring and i heard this noise on the other side, i look over, a green horse had bucked off his rider, and the horse was cantering around the ring, coming twords us. that suicidal horse came up right behind katie. i felt a little jump in the air. apparently she had bucked up and kicked that poor horse right on the chest so hard that the people on the other side of the ring heard the impact sound!!! XD siigh....memories...haha.

celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #16 
Neelie

Quote:
Neelie- She's bucked several people off, but that's because the saddle didn't fit right and the girth was pinching her. She was bought all new stuff, and now she's great. Other than being lazy. However she can move pretty fast if she wants.
I would love to visit Ireland some day though, I think it looks beautiful. Even if my hopes and dreams of seeing Vanner's everywhere has been crushed. XD
^^^ lol ok thats a good reason then... it must be horrible being ridden with a rubbing saddle! i remember my mum and dad always testing saddles for a few days before they bought them i thought it was always a lil OTT but today id do the same... im so lucky with the western saddle. it fits like a glove.... amazing piece of equipment. the english saddle on my mare actually doesnt fit anymore.... she has gotten too FAT!

found 2 more of me. on my mum's mare, i was 11 i think

they were mighty jumps! i loved it when i got lifted out of the stirrups lol... mum's mare is 14.2HH btw, for size comparisons with jumps lol

LTF: i LOVE your horse and your pics! he's very pretty and he really works well for you.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #17 
Drift

Neelie- I would do the same. You can never be too careful! Especially if you are spending a lot of money on it too!
I'm not a fan of jumping, at all. XD

LTF- Louie is gorgeous! We use Hackamore's on everyone but the Halflinger. I think they had some problems, and her owner is a little more confident with the bit. She wants to get her back in the Hackamore. Anyways, I love the Hackamore! I love Rocky, he's so cute! I love Appy's. I really like the Leopard spot ones that almost look like a dalmation.

Celine- The other Halflinger I don't have a picture of does not like other horses being behind her when we trail ride. She will kick, she' put her ears completely back and try to bite too. She has such an attitude.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #18 
Learn To Fly

Neelie, thanks! He can look really nice or completely un-proportional lol. He's not actually my horse though...

Drift, thanks as well. He doesn't actually use a hackamore any more because he decided he didn't like it, but the ones with that bit are from my most recent show. He absolutely HATES that bit and wouldn't listen to it at all, and since my instructor has now decided I have enough control with a snaffle, that's what I'm using now. (I only ever used that bit for the show though, because we were doing cross country and were looking for a different option besides the hackamore. It's a Kimberwick uxeter snaffle or something like that, with a slow twist). Next time we're trying a regular loose ring snaffle with a twist, just to make sure he gets the idea that he has to listen, but not to bug him. And yeah, appys are so cute! Rocky's pretty old now, about 26, and he's one of the beginner horses. He's also one of the "original" horses, as I like to call them, that were there before the farm got sold. There used to be a leopard-spotted boy named Joey (Chief Joseph) but he went blind and deaf and had to be put down :(
Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #19 
alg0181

Sorry I haven't been back! You all have lovely horses. I don't have my own, so I kind of deal with other people's issues, but it's infinitely better than not riding at all.

And Drift, I totally understand about saddle fit being an issue...I have discovered most saddles don't fit the horses they're on. But people don't want to hear that when they dropped $1200 for the saddle...

I've used hackamores, but don't like them. IMO a mechanical hackamore is one of the harshest tools you can use on a horse, but it is severely underappreciated because it has no mouthpiece. It kills me to see people wrenching on those things going round a course. I have seen pulling/leaning problems vanish when I switch to a loose ring or french link, instead of going harsher. Not to criticize anyone--any bit is useful if in good hands!

I'll have to take some photos of the horses I ride currently!

Last edited by alg0181; 11-23-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: typo
alg0181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #20 
alg0181

Oh and Learn to Fly, your hands are low, but your leg position o/f is nice. All my years of riding and I still put my leg too far back, which is not a big deal over small fences, but always screws me up at 4'+. Yours are perfect!!
alg0181 is offline   Reply With Quote