Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #1 
r3h0ld3r

Beard Algae

I seem to be developing a lot of beard algae in my betta's 3 gallon tank. It's heated with proper filtration and it's planted, but the algae is growing a couple decorations and some of the substrate.

I'm curious as to how it's developing so well, as I only keep the light on about 7 hours out of the day. I have on occasion overfed my fish, which may have triggered this growth however.

I actually like the look of it very much, and wouldn't mind keeping it, but I'm under the impression that it is not good.

How can I best get rid of it? I hear siamese algae eaters are the best course of action, but I'm worried about what to do with them when the algae is gone. Can anyone offer up some help?

Thanks
r3h0ld3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Don't get a CAE.......no mater what size tank you have-as they mature they stop eating algae and start eating the slim coat of slow moving fish.......

Beard algae is fine when kept under control and even interesting to look at, you do want to keep it off your plants leaves but it usually grows on rocks and decoration anyway

Part of your problem may be related to your lights and photoperiod-I would increase the time your lights are on to at least 8-10hours for your plants-they need to out complete the algae-also, what is the kelvin rating on the lights and how old are they

Depending on what type and number of plants you have the fish food can sometimes be a good thing for plant food...but too much can be bad when you don't have active plant growth for them to use it before the algae.

What size is the tank, how many and what kind of plants, stocking, water change schedule, additives, lights age and kelvin rate, water temp?

Can you post a pic?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #3 
BlueHaven

Lol, beard algae. Does that come from swamp monster's beards?

I think you've gotten a good answer already!
Hope your tank issue works out okay. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #4 
r3h0ld3r

To answer your questions, It's a 3 gallon marineland eclipse that I had bought about 4 months ago or so. It has one betta bulb growing very rapidly, no idea what type of plant it is. Just one male betta in the tank. I change 25%-50% water once or twice a week, temp at about 81-82F.

Thanks for the help. I have not had a chance to take a picture, but I'm pretty certain that's what it is, as I can not identify it with any other type when I look at pictures.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #5 
shinybetta

I read on planet catfish that soaking beard algea in stress coat kills it. Let me get a link,

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/v...hp?f=4&t=23536
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #6 
r3h0ld3r

Ok i'll look into it. I don't know much about that at the moment.

I've also extended the hours that I keep the light on, to promote plant growth.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #7 
Hadouken441

beard algae - fluctuations of co2 or ferts. or also too much light, not enough co2 or ferts.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #8 
r3h0ld3r

So, I should not extend the hours the light is on?

The algae is on one leaf of the plant I have now, should I trim it?