Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

I would use your well water.....due to the filtration process of bottled water is can lack the needed minerals the fish needs for good health and often it is just filtered tap water that can still contain chlorine/chloramines-using 50/50 mix along with a dechlorinater would be fine however, but long term bottled water use can cause problems/health issues for the fish.
Not to add the cost with the needed water changes in a 1gal or even a 5gal tank.....

Also a note....if you want to add other fish species you will need at least a 10gal tank....2.5gal-5gal you can safely add shrimp or snails-but no other fish beside one Betta.....live plants are always nice-regardless of tank size.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #12 
bevely

I noticed she didn't use her gills in the well water (at least, I didn't see anything moving) and she would just float up top and bob out of the water for breath. So I thought maybe the well water was bothering her. I can see her using her gills in the bottled water though, and she's able to get to the bottom of the cup I put her in to test it. Is it possible my well water has something in it that's bothering her? I used a conditioner too. It's just a hunch though, that the water is bothering her..
bevely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

If you are seeing rapid gill movement in the bottled water I would say that is not a good sign-be careful switching her from one water type to another-to avoid any sudden pH/hardness swings from water to water

Do you have any Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) if so, mix up a 1 gal jug with your well water and bottled water 50/50 mix and the dechlorinator- add 1tsp of Epsom salt and dissolve and start making 100% daily water changes with this

What kind of dechlorinator are you using-does it cover chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #14 
bevely

I do have some epsom salt, I'll mix that together and do the daily changes. Do you recommend feeding her a bit of a pea? Or fasting?

The dechlorinator is by Top Fin, it's made for bettas apparently. It says on the back it reduces the chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. :)

Last edited by bevely; 11-24-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

That is what you want especially with some well water that can have heavy metal-but usually with heavy metals the fish will try and get out of the water or flash on objects in the tank because it feels itching to them-not all well water has high levels of heavy metals-I have and use well water for over 40 years with my aquarium without problems-but not all water is created equal.....

The Epsom salt also will work as a laxative, but feeding a pea will not hurt at this point, however, I would fast for a day or so too so her digestive system can rest.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #16 
bevely

She does constantly try to "bite" the air. She's been doing that since I got her. She'll swim quickly up and bob her head out of the water rapidly. It looks like shes gasping or trying to "bite" the air, is the best way I can describe it. Is she actually trying to get out of the water?
Old 11-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

Sounds more like she is just getting a breath of air and she has to ram herself up because of the buoyancy issue.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #18 
bevely

That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #19 
bettafish15

I agree with danifacetastic, water condtitioner should always be used :) theres more nutrients, or so i hear, in tap water, so just use tap water with conditoner, as bottled water can get expensive, when either way your using water conditioner :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote