Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #1 
Red and Bob

Meet Red and my Pleco, Bob

This is my male Betta, Red. He's three years old.:

This is my new Pleco, Bob:

Here's my tank:

It's bare, I know. =( Also, I've noticed it's been cloudy the past couple weeks. Is it because I need a new filter?? What causes it to be cloudy. I just got that tank about a month and a half ago.
Red and Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #2 
puppyrjjkm

Nice fish. But plecos grow up to 1 foot or larger, he needs at least a 50 gallon tank. Other than that your betta would really enjoy some plants and a hidey cave. Some tanks are cloudy after new setups. Tetra brand sells "water clarifier" which would help with that. Just make sure you're keeping up on water changes, that should help too.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #3 
Red and Bob

Yeah, I know plecos grow large. I didn't know that when I bought it from the store...They should really inform people of this when they buy fish.

I will buy some of that water clarifier because it's really unpleasant to see a cloudy fish tank. I will also buy some hides and plants when I can. I've been meaning to do that.

Does any one know how long it takes for a pleco to reach it's full size and when I should get a bigger tank? I know they live for a long time.
I already want to get a bigger tank so I can get more fish but I can't right now.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #4 
CrankyFish84

Aww "bob" the fish lol
3 years old? good job!!
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #5 
Red and Bob

I know! I am surprised I have kept this fish for so long. I am happy I have though, he's a really funny fish. haha
Old 11-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #6 
Apocalypse

Your pleco will be fine in that tank for now. Mine was about your size when I got him about 4 months ago, and now he's to about 4 inches. But they do get big, I've had them up to about 14 inches. Think about getting a 55+ tank for him.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #7 
TayHudson

Depending on what kind of pleco it is. "Common" plecos usually get over 1'. But it all depends on what you have. What kind of pleco did they tell you it was? If they knew at all. Its kind of hard to tell from your photos. It kind of looks like a bristlenose, but don't hold me to that. I got mine back in August and she hasn't really grown too much. She's in a 40 breeder right now, so it'll be enough room for a while. Some take a loooooooooooong time to grow over 1'. So you have some time. But plecos love to hide also. So you should definitely get a bigger tank if it's possible and some hiding places. Have you ever kept plecos before?? I love mine, Houdini. She's always hiding.
TayHudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #8 
JKfish

Wow, Red's nice looking:)

cloudy water can happen when the water isn't clean or changed out enough. Ammonia blooms, triggering bacteria to grow and make the tank cloudy. A large water change might fix it :)

As for Bob the Pelco, unless you can get him the right sized tank, it's probably better to return him to the petstore so they will hopefully sell him to a person that can.

Last edited by JKfish; 11-24-2010 at 08:56 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:00 AM   #9 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Wow, three years is really good! Love the names too.. hehe =]
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote