Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: how did you get you into betta's?
Got one as a present 7 14.89%
always loved them 7 14.89%
read up aout them and got interested 16 34.04%
other 17 36.17%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #21 
purplemuffin

I actually used to totally think fish were boring, I mean I loved looking at them at the doctor's office(HUUGE full wall tank with pacus) and I enjoyed when my grandma bought that ill fated betta in a plant vase, but I never really considered one.

I went to college, and hoped hoped hoped the tank rule could maybe allow me to get something not technically a fish--an axolotl, maybe I could sneak a gecko? I tried and tried but nothing would work well in just a ten gallon tank!(Plus they check the rooms, it would be hard to hide!)

So I gave up and decided to get a fish! I wanted an easy one..My mind shot to bettas! My friend had one for two years, I remember reading a blog by a guy who had one for a long time(but sadly died of ick, and so that's when I learned they could get sick and I steered away from the sick looking ones in the mall) ..I decided I wanted to look it up! I was in such a habit of googling care for my reptiles and amphibians, thank goodness I kept up that habit for the betta! The first website I found was bettatalk, followed by bettysplendens, then here! I joined happily, and now I know about bettas! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #22 
Bettacaleb

I had one once a like 2 years ago he died though and then i thought i would try them again
Bettacaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #23 
dragonfair

When I was in college, I wanted a little fish tank to put on my desk while I studied because I always thought fish were relaxing. The bettas caught my eye when I was in the petstore so I got one with a little 1 gallon tank. He lived a very long time and I loved how easy he was to take care of and how interactive he was. Over the years, I've had several off and on.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #24 
wallywestisthebest333

I came home for thanksgiving last year and since my sister's college is only an hour from home I visited her.
She had gotten a red and blue veiltail named Gunther. <3 I fell in love instantly and knew I had to have one of my own! <3
After researching bettas on here I picked Genie and Alakazam (R.I.P.) up in June and Genie's still with me. <3 Alakazam didn't make it though. He died of mysterious causes. :[
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #25 
kUBITA

When i was smaller i was facinated by " A fighting Fish?" so did some research went to my local petshop bought a fancy betta and now i have an enormous collection of bettas. My favorite being my Fanged Cambodian king betta< Heihachi>
kUBITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #26 
doggyhog

I always thought that bettas were boring and never really liked them. But one night before going to the petstore the next morning I decided I wanted one. I was 7 at the time. :P So obviously that little fish didn't have the best care but I loved him! Almost cried when he died.

About two years ago I wanted to get another fish then I was HOOKED!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #27 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I had 3 or 4 bettas with my mom growing up starting in the 3rd grade. she knows NOTHING about fish, and obviously I didn't either.. so they didnt have the best of homes but they all lived 2-3 years. when I was about 13 I wanted a 12 gallon tank, so I got that and moved on from betta's which I thought were boring.
I eventually got bigger and bigger tanks, then when I was about 18 I had three tanks set up and one cracked and I couldnt fix it so all my fish in my community tank had to squeeze into a 10 gallon as my other tanks were agressive fish only, untill I could get a larger tank. well, it never happened I just rehomed all my fish but one tank. I then lost complete interest in maintaining it. an interest sparked a few months ago, but I didnt knwo what kind of fish the last fish was, so my friend guessed and told me it was semi-agressive. well, it ate every fish I placed in the tank. so he got a nice new home a few weeks ago, since I wasnt properly caring for him anymore.

I then quit my job for school, and at my old job we had a betta in a vase w/plant in our goodbye room for when clients put down thier animals. well, I was the only one that took care of him. I realize NOW that I wasnt giving him what he needed, but he wasn't my fish and I didn't know. =[[
so I left that job and sure missed that little guy so I set to work to do some research to get my own betta. I was orginally searching what kind of plant goes in the vase (HORRIBLE I KNOW) and found sites saying that was wrong. I realized I needed a better tank and that they were tropical fish and needed heaters and you know.. I landed here, lurked a few days, then joined. I have a tank all set up, but I haven't clicked with the right betta yet, so I am still fishless =[

WOW that was a life story.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #28 
Aluyasha

My mom has always owned fish and when I was about 6-7 my mom said that my and my sister could pick the next fish to go into her two 55 gallons. We both chose bettas (one in each tank). After that we always made sure that there was a betta in the house. When I got older I thought to get my own tank but I have never liked large tanks so I got a 5 gal and I felt as if I had to get a betta like it was a family tradition or something. And well, as assumed I am now offically obsessed.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #29 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
My mom has always owned fish and when I was about 6-7 my mom said that my and my sister could pick the next fish to go into her two 55 gallons. We both chose bettas (one in each tank). After that we always made sure that there was a betta in the house. When I got older I thought to get my own tank but I have never liked large tanks so I got a 5 gal and I felt as if I had to get a betta like it was a family tradition or something. And well, as assumed I am now offically obsessed.

I LOVE my little 5 gallon. It's like a mini tank, I have always had large tanks untill recently. I dont think I could go back.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:19 PM   #30 
Feral

Late last spring I converted an unused bedroom into a relaxation room- planted it heavily in potted palms, cycads and cane plants and decorated it in an ancient Egyptian motiff, even put in a triple stage water effects fountain for the sounds of trickling water and a sound generator that does rain sounds, crickets and rain forest birds, but.... it lacked anything in the way of living motion, so I found a HUGE fishbowl and bought my first Betta, Little Dude. I've got to like him so much I now have two other Bettas in their own tanks and am getting into redecorating THEIR 'rooms'.

I've really learned to appreciate these guys, each such a different personality
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote