Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #11 
Feral

When I come home my little guy comes up to the near side of his bowl all flared up and so excited his whole body is wagging- what's not to love?

People who don't understand simply have never had one - it sure came as a surprise to me that a tiny little fish could have so much going on
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #12 
MizzVamp115

I understand. My mom was the same way when i'd talk about my bettas but now the more i've told her about them and shown her mine and how awesome they are she wants me to help her set up the proper home for one. She keeps harping on me to buy her one but little does she know that's what i'm getting her for Christmas lol.
MizzVamp115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #13 
purplemuffin

Aww I've had to deal with this with almost all my pets...

I've heard it all... Why would you love a betta? They only live a few weeks and they are too much effort to keep alive for longer! Why do you love that bird? They are so noisy and dusty! Why would you EVER love a snake? They are so scary and ugly! Why would you love a gecko? They are creepy and ugly!

Nathan actually had a leopard gecko die because his parents refused to take him to the vet... "Why pay 50 dollars to SAVE HIS LIFE when you can buy a new one for 30 dollars?"...... grr.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #14 
CrankyFish84

Well the people at the pet store look at me amazed when they ask, "So, what do you have in your tanks for all these plants your buying??" and I say..."A betta". LoL

My family is more curious than anything...Asking about tail types & what they eat.
My sister thinks they sounds cool after I told her you can feed them live food & watch them
eat it. lol She thought they ate their own poop. wth? lol
She LOVED the tank set ups, I think that is what sells some non believers.

My roommate always give me the happenings on the living room bettas, and loves Danny Boy in particular, always wants to feed him extra LoL I have to say Nooo he'll get sick man, but thanks for the offer!
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #15 
Aluyasha

I have 4 bettas right now and would like to get more. The little guys are so addicting! It is a shame my husband does not love them as much as I do, though at least he understands that I love them.
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:27 PM   #16 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

My boyfriend doesnt understand either, I want to get one for his apartment, but I know he would NEVER want one.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #17 
BettaBuddi1221

My friend talks about her dog all the time, wich is o.k. by me exept I can never tell her how cool battas are. It can be a little frustrating at times.
BettaBuddi1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #18 
Aluyasha

That is about the same types of conversations I have with my aunt. She tells me how her cat dying was very hard for her, and when I try to relate by talking about when my betta Plum D died she says "that is just a fish, not the same thing at all".
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #19 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyFish84 View Post
Well the people at the pet store look at me amazed when they ask, "So, what do you have in your tanks for all these plants your buying??" and I say..."A betta". LoL
Recently had a similar conversation myself. I went to buy a piece of driftwood and the man behind the counter asked me what tank I had and what fish were in it. "Just my betta in a five gallon", I said. The guy gave me a surprised look.

But on another note, yikes! How insensitive of that employee! Even I would have responded with something, and I'm horribly shy...

Fortunately my family is pretty understanding of my love for bettas. My dad is pretty interested in fish himself, even if he told me he doesn't like bettas (that was because he assumed it was normal for bettas to lay around moping in cups, though) and my mom thinks it's nice that I have a hobby like this (as long as it doesn't get out of hand) and while my sister doesn't care much about fish, she does like animals in general and she took good care of them when I had to give a few to her. Actually, I think my mom and sister warmed up a bit to my bettas while they spent some time over at their house.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #20 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
That is about the same types of conversations I have with my aunt. She tells me how her cat dying was very hard for her, and when I try to relate by talking about when my betta Plum D died she says "that is just a fish, not the same thing at all".
People just don't get it. My fish dying would be just as devastating to me as my dog, cat, or rabbit dying. I am so sorry for your loss, all of us here can understand what you're going through!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote