Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #1 
Drift

Question Tail biting tips?

My neurotic male Veiltail, Swazi, is a tail biter extraordinaire. I think he needs some anti-psychotic medication so he stops mutilating himself.

I had him in a divided 10 gallon and when I added his "roomate" so to say he started this lovely habit. So I switched him with a calmer Betta. My divided 10 gallon is now peaceful.

However, Swazi is in a planted 5 gallon Minibow. The filter is baffled, it's heated to 80*, I do weekly water changes. He's fed 6 out the 7 days the week of good varied food. (Frozen bloodworms, and Attison's/New Life Spectrum/Omega One pellets.)

I play with him daily with the lazer pointer, chasing my finger around, and holding random objects up to his tank. Yes I know I'm weird. :)

He ripped off one of his pectoral fins before I moved him to the new tank. He was always missing half of one his ventral fins. Now he ripped off half of his anal fin, I found a chunk of his tail sitting on his moss ball. I know the keep his water extra clean part, but I need some tips on what to do to discourage this behavior.
I can't leave the lights off. The plants in his tank would not appreciate that. Half his tank is covered with a background to prevent reflection. It's planted so I can't rearrange a whole lot. I try to tire him out by playing with him. What else?
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #2 
Bettacrazy90

Actually, you should let the lights off at night, plants in the wild have to deal with this and I am sure they will survive. I left my tank light on one night and the next morning found Jose with half his tail bitten off. At night, if the light is on, he WILL see his reflection and will get too stressed out. I would try turning your lights off at night. See if that does anything.
Bettacrazy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #3 
Drift

I guess I should clarify they are on for 10 hours. XD I meant leave them off all the time like some people recommend to reduce their ability to see themselves.

My boyfriend would not be thrilled if I left the fish tank lights on all night. XD
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote