Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #1 
FishyWishy

Best way to deal with algae?

Can anyone suggest the best way to deal with algae in your betta's tank?

Thanks!
FishyWishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #2 
Malvolti

I usually just use an aquarium sponge. If it's on decorations you can rinse them under hot water and use your hand or the same aquarium sponge to rub it off.

Algae is usually the result of direct sunlight or poor water. You can try moving the tank to an area of the room that gets less direct sunlight or try doing an extra water change per week.

Another option would be to get something that eats algae but only if you have room in your tank. You also run into the problem of running out of algae for it to eat so this may not be ideal.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #3 
bloo97

Edit: ^Just summed it up. :P

I just did a waterchange and it was gone. I think there is also an Algea killer that you can buy.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

The chemical additives to kill algae can also kill plants and some fish can be sensitive as well...not recommended......

Best algae cleaner is the hobbyist

Don't get any livestock for algae-most only eat some types of algae and most tanks are not big enough to sustain them..its a closed system after all.....

A good way to take care of algae is to first find out what kind it is and what caused it and fix the root cause......

Regardless-not all algae is bad and sometimes a good sign of a healthy system and some livestock will feed off the microorganism that grow/feed off algae, however, too much of a good thing in a closed system can be bad.....algae is best kept under control.....some algae can even look nice and help make the tank look more natural....fish don't live and thrive in a sterile environment after all......

Often all that is needed is a good scrubbing and removed with a water change.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote