Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #1 
Perdue

swapping homes?

so i have my two bettas in two much different homes.. bleezy is in a 1 gallon vase/bowl/jar? and jim is in a 1 gallon critter keeper. both homes are very different in shape and surroundings. both have been in their homes for quite awhile now and are probly used to it. but i was thinking maybe switching their homes to keep them surprised and not bored. would this cause too much stress since they're already used to their current set ups?
Perdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #2 
bettabreeder123
Banned

i would say if when ur changing it u don't dump yr fish in the tank really roughly and it's how u get him in the tank. i mean its the way that u get ur betta fish in their home. if u do it sloppy. its animal abuse. if its lik an agle petting u , thats fine.
bettabreeder123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #3 
Perdue

no i wouldnt just throw them in. i was just wondering if they'd be stressed switching back and forth between homes..
Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Well, they'd definitely be surprised and it might take them a while to adjust to their new homes. if you want to keep your betta entertained, you can switch their plants/decor occasionally or float a pingpong ball in the tank.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #5 
TaylorW

Yeah, I think you could switch it up! Although I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other decided one tank was their favorite

You can also try putting ping pong balls or other floating objects in the tanks, or changing objects around the tank to keep things interesting! I once caught my betta trying to attack a nearby cracker box
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #6 
bettabreeder123
Banned

i put this invisiball in my tank and my betta is going crazy for it.
bettabreeder123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #7 
Perdue

haha nice! ill have to try the ping pong ball idea :)
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #8 
Astro277

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettabreeder123 View Post
i would say if when ur changing it u don't dump yr fish in the tank really roughly and it's how u get him in the tank. i mean its the way that u get ur betta fish in their home. if u do it sloppy. its animal abuse. if its lik an agle petting u , thats fine.
Well of course there not just going to dump their fish lol.

And can you please not text talk its very hard to understand your version of some of those words.
Astro277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #9 
Feral

I've been doing this since I hit the three betta level, switching homes when I do the once a week water changes. They don't seem any more disoriented than is usual for being removed for cleaning and they do swim around more- don't know if that's good or bad but they don't seem as bored!

As a side note, each new tank has gotten a little nicer (up to four now)and I'm starting to realize changing tanks is going to be part of the program so the boys are going to have to get used to having new digs anyway.

Probably retire the original 6 1/2 gallon bowl and make it a terrarium for Emperor scorpions.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote