Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #1 
Neelie

cold weather = cold fishies...

well, i woke up today to the coldest night/morning we have had in a long time here its 15 F outside... for ireland thats freezing freezing freezing!! our houses arent that well insulated (ireland's climate is mild usually, but the climate change is clear...) and it was chilly in the house this morning...
i got up anyways and went to feed my fish and thought "they're all very lethargic and still...." and looked at the thermometers and eekkk! it read 59 F thats a drop of 16 F...

i use the hydor heat pads but THEY ARE GETTING THROWN OUT TODAY! gonna get small glass heaters asap... my poor boys!!! edward has finrot coming up and he should stay warm!!!

but im surprised the pads wont heat the 2.5g properly!!! caus they should.... they are labeled to 3g, keeping water at 74 or something... thats why i bought them lol.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #2 
Malvolti

A lot of heaters also state that they only heat a few degrees above room temperature.

Another thing you can do is to insulate the tanks by wrapping them in a few layers of newspaper or wrapping some sweaters around them.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #3 
shinybetta

Hydor heat pads only raise the temperature 4 or 5 degrees. Get something like a marineland heater.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #4 
Neelie

^^^ yeah, no they are ridiculous... worked ok till now, keeping water at the limit, but its cold now and they make no difference what so ever anymore lol.... and they cost $18 here.... way too expensive.
im really angry now!!! if i would have known they are SO bad i would have gotten proper heaters and not wasted $70 on them!!! GGRRRR caus adjustable glass heaters are just $2 more....
Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #5 
Dammerung2010

Get a Marineland Stealth Pro 25w: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...3&pcatid=21323

The outer casing is thermal plastic, so they won't break easily like glass heaters.
Dammerung2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #6 
danifacetastic

I have a 25 watt heater and heated one gallon tanks with no problem...now it's in my 10 gallon and still working fine.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #7 
Neelie

^^^ got a proper heater now for one, its 25w. work OK... not great either though tnh lol. it was $23 tho and i dont have money for 2 more... :(