Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #1 
darevrin43

cleaning tank and heaters

I just bought a 2.5 gallon tank for my betta and have had it for a couple of days, now my mom just bought one to after seeing mine. She had nowhere to put her 2.5 gallon tank so she put it on my computer desk on the other side.

Is there a heater out there that is made to heat two tanks at once?? And if so which kind do you guys suggest I get?

Also how do you guys clean a small tank, like do you leave the fish in the water?? how do you empty out water? and how do you clean the bottom? These are small 2.5 gallon tanks
darevrin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #2 
Malvolti

You'll probably have to buy 2 individual, adjustable heaters (10w-25w). I wouldn't trust anything that claims to heat 2 different tanks, not that there is one.

As for how often and how much you should clean a 2.5 gallon tank? It depends on a few things; Do you have a filter? Is it cycled? Are there living plants?

With none of the above you should probably be doing 2-3 water changes per week. 2 changes of 50% of the water and one change of 100% of the water. For the 50% changes it's fine to leave the fish in, you'll need to take him out for a 100% change. Even with a filter I would recommend 2 water changes a week.

I change the water in my tank by using a Gravel Vacuum, it looks like a plastic tube attatched to a rubber hose. It creates suction to pull out all the stuff in the bottom but leaves the gravel behind. It also takes the water out pretty fast so cleaning doesn't take very long.

Then you just gently pour you pre-conditioned, pre-warmed, clean water in the tank.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #3 
darevrin43

Yea i guess ill buy two heaters. Is there a specific place i should buy it online or is going to petco fine to go to?? Is it better to go external or internal heater and do the heaters take up a lot of space in the tank if its internal?

I do have a filter in my tank and there are no living plants. Are vacumns cheap and is there a specific one for small tanks u suggest?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #4 
Malvolti

Your local pet store or even walmart carries tank heaters. It's generally recommended to get an in-tank adjustable heater. They don't take up a lot of room, especially a 10w which is about the size you're looking for. My 10w is about 4 inches long and maybe 1 inch wide.

Vacuums are relatively cheap, I think I paid $10 canadian for mine. They do come in a variety of sizes, you'll want a small basic one.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #5 
danifacetastic

I had a 25 watt heater in each of my 1 gallon tanks when I had the boys in that and it didn't take up too much room. I had it on the back of the glass. They're usually thin. And I got the smallest gravel vacumn at PetSmart and it was about 7 bucks.
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #6 
darevrin43

sweet deal thanks guys, just wana make sure i spoil my lil fishies